Author Topic: Annotative text  (Read 2316 times)

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
Annotative text
« on: June 24, 2009, 07:12:16 PM »
So I was asked to help try and figure out some issues with annotative text.  Since I wrote some code ( here ) to add scales to text, I thought it might be fun to see why some issues were happening, so this is what I came up with ( posted first on the AUGI site here):
So I'm trying to understand anno scales. I used the command to add one, and it shows fine when I look at the entity data. I added one by my code, and it looks fine in the edata. I think invoke the command to add more, and the one I added isn't there. Hmm?

I then erased the extension dictionary of the same piece of text. I look at the edata, and it isn't there, like it shouldn't be. But once the command is invoked, you can see the old scales that were added by the command still, but still not the one added with code. Hmm?

I then load dbview.arx to look at stuff. This shows that the edata does not have the ex. dict, but the command will still show the items. So my question is where is this information stored within the drawing?

Saved the drawing, then opened it, and the text that I was experimenting on is no longer in the drawing, but now there is an anonymous block with nothing in the definition that wasn't there before.

I had another piece of text that I was experimenting with also. Nothing really happened to this piece, so I decided to try some stuff with it while I was posting this message. I added an anno scale with my code. You don't see it in the dialog box, but if you save, close and open, you will see the anno scales added with the code in the dialog. So I'm coming to the conclusion that the info is stored somewhere in the drawing on a temp basis that isn't updated until it's saved/opened when using code.

If anyone has any opinion on this let me know, as I don't use anno scales in production, and this is all testing, so I may be way off base. Hope this post makes sense. =D

So any insight is appreciated.
Tim

I don't want to ' end-up ', I want to ' become '. - Me

Please think about donating if this post helped you.

Bob Wahr

Re: Annotative text
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 07:36:26 PM »
Are you saving to an earlier version?

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
Re: Annotative text
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 07:37:58 PM »
Are you saving to an earlier version?

Doesn't look like it.  I'm testing in '08, and it is saving to the 2007 format.

I think that happened because I deleted the extension dictionary, and it didn't know what to do with it once it opened it up.
Tim

I don't want to ' end-up ', I want to ' become '. - Me

Please think about donating if this post helped you.