Author Topic: Scales Civil vs Arch  (Read 6576 times)

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
Scales Civil vs Arch
« on: June 16, 2009, 04:07:30 PM »
Lately it seems I'm running into alot of dwg's that are making me wonder about scales.

Civil sheets (Site Plans and profiles) are definitely civil scales 1" = X feet (no inches)

-but then I see Electrical Site plans using Arch scales (proper?)

There may be a very small site ( a well site or something ~ 20' x 10').
-Is using a scale that is divisible by a "legal" scale proper? Say 1" = 3' that could be measured using a 1:30 scale.

Then there are details on a C sheet, from a C sheet. Maybe an enlarged plan and elevation of a flow meter w/ piping.
-Arch or Civil scales? (I'm thinking Arch is obvious, but would like others input)

Thx's
Acad 2013 and XM
Back when High Tech meant you had an adjustable triangle

Dinosaur

Re: Scales Civil vs Arch
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 04:51:49 PM »
Check the UNITS ... if FEET then you are using the decimal 1"=XX engineering scale ... if INCHES you are using the architectural 1"=XX engineering scale.

PHX cadie

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 04:57:46 PM »
Not sure if the units would be a good indicator, since I'm wondering about the drafting itself

I don't think an Electrical Site should be using an Arch scale since it is a Site Plan (maybe?)

<edit>
I should explain better. I'm wondering about the Vport and graphic scales that should be used (sorry)
Acad 2013 and XM
Back when High Tech meant you had an adjustable triangle

KewlToyZ

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 09:32:16 AM »
Check these links here:
http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=22836.0
http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=22135.0
http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=27968.0

I attached what I am using to compensate for the ScaleListEdit systems.
I constantly delete all and re add them in XREF's with client files.
At one point it became a really heinous problem to fix.

I use a reactor from jbuzzbee that works terrific with 2008 & 2009's cannoscale control.
I use my SSC command for compatability between 2007-2009 on a separate system to force and cleanup the entire scale lists.
Let me know if you find it useful.
The geniuses here in the Swamp did quite a bit with realizing a truly simplified means of controlling the scale systems.
 ;-)

In terms of standard scales being used, our MEP uses average on Architectural Scales 1/8"=1' for floor plans, 1/4"=1' for unit plans, and I find for Civil site plans we range on Engineering scales between 1"=50' - 1"=100'.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 09:40:46 AM by KewlToyZ »

sinc

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 12:23:01 PM »
If you are submitting something to a review agency, they may limit which scales are acceptable, and you may need to request permission to use something other than a "standard" scale.  A "standard" scale is anything that can be measured using a normal six-sided engineer's scale, which works well for all of the following:

1" = 1'
1" = 2'
1" = 3'
1" = 4'
1" = 5'
1" = 6'
1" = 10'
1" = 20'
1" = 30'
1" = 40'
1" = 50'
1" = 60'
1" = 100'
1" = 200'
1" = 300'
1" = 400'
1" = 500'
1" = 600'
etc.

If those really don't work, then the "fallback" is to use something that can evenly-divided into an existing scale.  And in that case, it is best to try an make it a multiple of 2 from one of the "standard" scales.  In other words, 1" = 80' (2 x 40) is preferable to 1" = 90' (3 x 30).  This practice is generally discouraged in plan sets or plats (if not prevented outright by the reviewing agency), but it can be ideal for "lesser" drawings and exhibits in some cases.

But again, this is just the general rule-of-thumb.  If you are submitting drawings somewhere, or if you are following a standard, you may be constrained in what you are allowed to use.