Author Topic: How do you create a network of points...  (Read 2006 times)

therock003

How do you create a network of points...
« on: May 24, 2009, 05:55:10 PM »
.... where each one is connected to all the others?

So far example if you have a set of 15 points scattered around, How can you connect each point with the other 14 automatically and create the complete network?

sinc

Re: How do you create a network of points...
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 08:54:24 PM »
Connect how?  Drawing 3D lines between them? Joining them logically in a Point Group?  Something else?

therock003

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 03:59:15 AM »
Yes just drawing lines between them. 2d if they have no elevation information (z=0), or 3d if they have elevation as well.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 10:05:20 AM »
Here's a lisp I did a few years ago that will connect points having the same description. They are connected via a 3dpolyline, by either ascending or descending point number.

The command name is CONNECTPTS, pick a point having the description to connect, choose ascending or descending order, and the 3dpoly is drawin on the current layer.

Should work in versions 2006-2010

sinc

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 10:31:27 AM »
Jeff's routine will work if you have coded descriptions on each point, and are trying to connect points with similar descriptions.  (This is also what we use Field-to-Finish for, so all lines are drawn automatically as the survey data is imported.)

If you are trying to connect all the points in more of a mesh (e.g. a Delaunay triangulation, for a TIN surface), then the easiest thing is probably to add the points to a Point Group, and add the Point Group to a Surface.  Although this will create a network of 3D-Faces, and not 3D-Lines.

therock003

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 01:40:30 PM »
Oh great you've give me lots of options. I will try each and see what comes of it. Actually it concerns a network of known points, and i just want to create a visual representation of the network and the relations between them.

If you try the surface method, isn't there a way to break/explode the faces into 3d linework or something.

Anyway, i will have a deeper look at it and let you know.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 06:26:51 PM »
or why not use the lines/curves command and draw lines by point number?

As in; 1,2,5-9,4,3,11-15 (the dashes connect the lines sequentially.

Then one could make a figure to get reports on the courses and distances.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/