Author Topic: StreamReader Problem  (Read 22309 times)

Glenn R

Re: StreamReader Problem
« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2009, 05:33:36 AM »
umbrage

New word, like it.

I was trying to generalize without stepping on to many toes.  Here's a buck for a shoe
shine  :angel:

Currencies are not worth what they once were....sigh.
Glad you like it. :)

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2009, 06:07:36 AM »

Glenn R

« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2009, 06:10:19 AM »
Yeah, I liked that also Dan :D

pkohut

« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2009, 07:45:00 AM »
Hey Mike, thanks for your feedback.  I'd be interest in a sample as well, especially
if it created class instances and serialized the data.  I don't know if I'll ever get
back into C# except to support some legacy code, otherwise .Net 2.5, EntitySpaces,
and CodeXS have served me well for a number of years.

Unfortunately, none of them are true. There is no overhead, there doesn't need to be sharing between apps, and size of app has nothing to do with whether or not to use Xml. The determining factor is how easily do you want to deal with your data? And, how much code do you want to write?

Though your opinion probably won't change, I would point out that parsing XML string data is very CPU intensive and
source files are much bigger than most other format methods, neither of which are free.

Paul

Spike Wilbury

« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2009, 10:36:00 AM »
I apologize if my post came across sharply, but it's accurate. "Most" don't have experience outside of their employer so they've never functioned as a professional consultant thrown into diverse environments on every new project and, therefore, forced to find/learn different methodologies. This isn't saying "Most" don't know how to handle their data within the confines they have setup, it's saying "Most" have never had to look for alternative methods so "Most" have no clue what other options are available that might better serve their purposes.

Based upon the follow up posts here, most of you have no idea what XML is or how easy it is to use. Most of you probably agree with a couple of the comments:

So, you are one of those people that if they are invited into a party, and you don't know anyone there, just the person who took you or invite you and when you just came in, they introduce you to one of the hostess, and you look at that person, and simple say "Oh, you don't have an idea of how to put together a party!" or "Oh, how ugly you are, no one had told you?".

:ugly:

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2009, 10:38:39 AM »
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Spike Wilbury

« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2009, 10:45:09 AM »

Send me some of those snacks....  :-P

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #82 on: April 30, 2009, 12:17:10 PM »

address?
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

dgorsman

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #83 on: April 30, 2009, 02:14:09 PM »
Why use a pile driver to hammer in a 3" nail when a simple hammer will do?

Wish I could remember the original poster on this, but the quote I heard was "Thats like trying to drive a nail with a pickle, or this here instrument:  :pissed:".

From the course of the thread, it looks like the OP is working with point data gathered from a total station or other surveying tool, delivered in PTX or PTZ format.  Yeah, it may be CSV *but* its still widely used in collecting and working with survey information.  There may be some tangible benefits from translating the entire data set to XML, but as I see it the work needed to create the translator plus the possibility of an XML-translated file getting out-of-sync with the original CSV data file makes any gains moot.  In this case I think the easiest, fastest, and best path forward is to just work with the original format.
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.

try {GreatPower;}
   catch (notResponsible)
      {NextTime(PlanAhead);}
   finally
      {MasterBasics;}

Spike Wilbury

« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2009, 02:42:00 PM »

address?

Sorry, Michael, and thanks!, I just did some popcorn here.... :)

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2009, 05:54:27 AM »
This sort of passed away quietly, didn't it.
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

Glenn R

« Reply #86 on: October 17, 2009, 06:02:07 AM »
Yep.

vegbruiser

« Reply #87 on: October 26, 2009, 10:29:29 AM »
A bit of a shame it did really, an example of what Mike was referring to would have been useful.

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2011, 02:13:01 PM »
I am having some problems with data ......
Nevermind, I just need to throw some XML on it.

Jeff H

• Needs a day job
« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2011, 01:33:26 PM »
I have seen post like this before where since XML needed for exchanging data = Use Xml for data structures, store data, model data for internal use in application..... etc

I was wondering do any of you really use XML as a data structure or store data?

Or add functionality to structure data in XML for sharing with other applications if needed?