Author Topic: Materials Attachment issue  (Read 5885 times)

Barry Clark

Materials Attachment issue
« on: April 20, 2009, 05:55:44 PM »
I can't seem to render with the materials showing as they should.

The bulk of the 3d item is to be black plastic. The 12 cylinders are to be polished metal.

What am I doing wrong here?

It renders as all white.

Barry Clark

Re: Materials Attachment issue
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 03:16:28 PM »
Anyone, anyone?

James Cannon

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 03:39:56 PM »
Super High Shininess without lighting = black, more often than not.

Your structural steel red material was super shiny to the point of turning into a mirror.

Turn down the shininess and you start seeing red.

Your plastic is going to render black... because it's black.  Sorry to say but you have a black background and a black object.  It's like that famous picture we all made in art class of the ghost looking for a piece of blank paper in a snow storm.

Change the BG color or make the plastic a bit greyer, imo.

Other than that, you could use a diffuse map that may add some contrast to the black bg

Another solution is to make that pline their sitting on into a region, make it a contrasting color like light-grey or brown or something, and have the part sit on that, so it shows up.  I used to use a nicely material-mapped wooden table when I did parts rendering.  The table was pointless and superfluous but it gave a nice place for your designed parts to sit on, and also gave a sense of scale, if enough of the table was in the rendering.

Barry Clark

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 04:45:49 PM »
I can dig it. But my black is rendering white for me.

James Cannon

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 05:17:39 PM »
I can dig it. But my black is rendering white for me.

Snap.  Didn't catch that.  Rendered solid black for me, haha.

The large plastic parts are rendering white, or the cylinders?

Because I had -some- of the cylinders render white at first, but I also noticed that when I selected all cylinders, and looked at the properties pallete, it listed *VARIES* under the Material-Attached property, meaning they did not share the same material.

I assumed that you had placed some on the 'Global' material for testing to see if ANY would show up.  Make sure they are all actually on the RED material you seemed to intend they be on.

Lemme upload an example of what I did to get them to render---:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 05:24:01 PM by James Cannon »

Barry Clark

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 05:20:21 PM »
ok. thanks.

The large plastic part was rendering white.

James Cannon

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 05:25:28 PM »
ok. thanks.

The large plastic part was rendering white.

On that, I am not entirely sure, unless there are some application specific variable controlling this, as to why it'd be different for you than me.  I'm using 2009 as well.  All lighting and such settings are drawing specific so I'm not sure why it would be different for you.

I did not notice any errors with missing material maps.  Did you use any mateiral maps on the Black Plastic material at all that I may not have received? 

Barry Clark

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 07:44:07 AM »
Nope. Well, initially, I applied a White PVC and tried to change the color. No go. I then removed that material from the drawing and then made one. Same result.

James Cannon

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 07:47:41 AM »
How's the file I sent, look?  Materials look as expected considering what changed?

Barry Clark

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 08:43:55 AM »
Looks fine. Thank you. However... what I don't get is... when I adjust the color... nothing happens.

James Cannon

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 08:47:24 AM »
Looks fine. Thank you. However... what I don't get is... when I adjust the color... nothing happens.

See.. the only way I can expect the COLOR of the RENDER not to change when you adjust the COLOR is if you have a DIFFUSE MAP selected.

Otherwise it really doesn't make sense to me... but I'm not expert.  I've mostly learned what I learned by messing with it, not from being taught by an expert... so there's definite cavities in what I know, and how confident I am in what I think I know :-D