Author Topic: AutoCAD or Inventor: map points on sphere face equidistant from eachother  (Read 4430 times)

James Cannon

I've gotten rather rusty at Inventor, so that may be why I'm having trouble, but I assume a parametric program would be the best case for this.

What I want to do is create any number of points on a sphere, and make them all equal distant from eachother.

Think about the nodal points on a die, like these gaming dice:

If you think about it, you could create all those by slicing a sphere at a plane created by three node points.

That's what I'm trying to do.

I have not tried Autocad other than 'thinking' how I might do it... and then deciding I'd be likely better off using Inventor.

Anyone have any clues?

I thought I would create POINT objects (whether it's a working point outside of the sketch, or a point inside a sketch) but I'm having trouble at that juncture...

I'm going to try another way about it...

James Cannon

Ok so I feel a bit silly.

I am going to try creating a triangular face, creating that as an part file, then inserting it (n) times into an assembly file and just matching the edges together.

It won't be a solid, but I can deal, I guess.

I'd much rather like a solid... worst case scenario, I save the assembly as a .dwg, use each face to slice a sphere in AutoCAD :roll:

Maverick®

• Seagull
Ok so I feel a bit silly.

'Cause you're talking to yourself?

James Cannon