Author Topic: Password Protected And Time Limited Applications  (Read 5493 times)

wannabe

Re: Password Protected And Time Limited Applications
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2009, 02:42:43 PM »
I think a system where my name pops up with my company and personal contact details as a means of "user-support" may be better.

Anyone agree?

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2009, 02:49:35 PM »
ding ding we have a winner :)
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

mcarson

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 03:14:26 PM »
Is it possible to make it so that code I create will need to be renewed or stop working after a certain time? Like say if my company no longer requires my services, then seeing as it's not in my contract or financial recompense, I think the hours I will have spent on this code should rleave it's use at my discretion. However, I wan't to help people out and earn a name for myself, so it's ideal that I can distribute the code but maintain the discretion of its use.

I'll be using C# for all my code.

I expect many of you are in a similar position, so any advice would be much appreciated.

In my opinion it would be much easier to approach your company and discuss what you can do to save time. Working in IT, most agreements do have a clause about unauthorised software, so I would:

1) Talk to the IT department/person
2) If you are loading it onto a computer you don't own, document it (manage the risk if it breaks)

I would also be sure that your employment contract permits working as a separate company/entity as this may pose additional problems

By far, discussing and demonstrating how your skills can be used can allow you to progress in your current employment. Going in your proposed direction could be VERY bad.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 02:55:02 AM »
I think a system where my name pops up with my company and personal contact details as a means of "user-support" may be better.

Anyone agree?
The company I work for has several applications written by staff in a different office, each time you open the commands, the dialog  box has the name of the person who wrote it on either the header or the main body. I think the way forward would be to get in touch with the person in charge of the company CAD system... in the company I work for, we have a corporate CAD Manager, who tests and implements CAD software, but in your company it might be the IT Dept.
Good luck with it
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.