Author Topic: AutoCAD 2010  (Read 24094 times)

Dinosaur

Re: AutoCAD 2010
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2009, 10:51:08 AM »
I installed trials of both vanilla and MAP and found them both to be dog slow ... every step from the download through getting the opening screens.  MAP was by far the slowest.  Don't be so quick to dismiss the ribbon - it is improved over last year and evident looking at MAP there is a lot more flexibility in generating different workspaces for different tasks.  The new parametric constraints looks promising for some applications depending on what kinds of drawings you are producing and your workflow.  I would not have had much use for it in my former career but then I found no use for annotative text or dynamic blocks in that environment either.

rhino

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2009, 01:16:30 PM »
Don't be so quick to dismiss the ribbon - it is improved over last year and evident looking at MAP there is a lot more flexibility in generating different workspaces for different tasks. 

yea its context sensitive now...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 01:59:46 PM by rhino »

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2009, 03:17:57 PM »
Well I installed it and I like the installer interfaced much better thought it was still slow.  But that could be becuase I am under powered in both the Ram and CPU departments.   :-)

Anyway I saw my first bug, the view pallett toolbar moves away form the pointer as you move it further from the Big A.  I have two monitors and when on the second monitor it must have been 5 inches away from the pointer. 

could you post a screenshot - no issues for me n I have installed it on my laptop which is quite modest :

Core Duo T2450 (2.0 ghz)
1 gb ram
160 HDD
intel mobile G945 chipset for the graphics
Vista home premium - aero disabled

The installer does a take a good while - but I think its due to installing a runtime extension...

A screen shot of what?  The pallet or the my hardware.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

KewlToyZ

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2009, 05:20:46 PM »
Has anyone had problems with multi-line attributes going to funky locations when opened in a release that does not support them?

Is there a solution?

It'll probably be in "Service Pack 2011".   :roll:
I beleive the versions really should be called service packs now  :lmao: :ugly: :pissed:

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2009, 09:16:53 AM »
Don't be so quick to dismiss the ribbon - it is improved over last year and evident looking at MAP there is a lot more flexibility in generating different workspaces for different tasks. 

yea its context sensitive now...
I am not dismissing the ribbon but I really miss my Dashboard in 08.  I am missing my filters from the layer manager and the ability to have everything on one pallet in a compact form.   Now I have extra clicks in process with large buttons that want to array themselves vertically instead of horizontally.  Too much white space on the right of the panel.  I would not mind if all the buttons were there but no.  the extra buttons still are access by click the expand button on the panel name. 

But hey this is the only second day of playing with it.   :lol:

James Cannon

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2009, 09:27:31 AM »
You can customize the Ribbon.

If you wish that a tab had more panels to fill the empty space... then put whatever panels you want there :)

KewlToyZ

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2009, 09:32:28 AM »
The other thing is undocking it from horizontal menu format.
Set to dock view/ Anchor like a palette.
Works just like the dashboard on steroids.
Except it is a bit more resource hungry.
But, by the time I implement this I may remove toolbars altogether and exclusively use the ribbon for all of my customizations.

James Cannon

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2009, 09:48:32 AM »

But, by the time I implement this I may remove toolbars altogether and exclusively use the ribbon for all of my customizations.

That's actually exactly what I'm half-way through doing already.  I'll still use the Properties pallete, for sure, as well as keeping the reference manager docked.. but otherwise, that's only one side of the screen with auto-hidden palletes.  Not a biggie.

I've become a bit enamored with the Ribbon, tbh.

Dinosaur

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2009, 09:54:06 AM »
I think that is exactly what the ribbon is designed for ... or at least the best way to utilize it.  Remember the first year they included the dashboard?  A horrible useless thing that allowed little if any customization - just like last year's Ribbon feature.  By creating different custom workspaces and ribbons for different sets of tasks, designers and techs setups won't be cluttered with stuff they don't want and the grunts won't be tempted to fiddle with things they shouldn't.  The old space hog toolbars can finally go away.

KewlToyZ

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2009, 10:01:12 AM »
I debated on trying it with 2009, but like I said, the resource hunger put me off.
Also I'll let the users get used to 2009 before I setup a workspace that throws out everything they recognized about AutoCAD. People need time to adjust. Not a good idea when they are buried in a year long complex project.

I will say , I like the fact the Layer Manager is now a palette in both AutoCAD and MEP.

James Cannon

« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2009, 10:02:54 AM »
The old space hog toolbars can finally go away.

Haven't had a toolbar showins (or a menu) since a month or two after using the Ribbon... love it, too.

Bob Garner

« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2009, 10:14:00 AM »
I still haven't configured Acad to play with it, but I learned you can still access the command prompt from Windows Vista - a huge advantage for us ancients that still use dos for a lot of our routine filing operations.  The young kids at work saw me setting up directories (folders to them) using dos.  I told them I had secret access to the kernal of Windows and this is how I was able to do this.  There's more than one way to stay ahead of them young'uns!

Bob G.

Dinosaur

« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2009, 10:47:32 AM »
I still haven't configured Acad to play with it, but I learned you can still access the command prompt from Windows Vista - a huge advantage for us ancients that still use dos for a lot of our routine filing operations.  The young kids at work saw me setting up directories (folders to them) using dos.  I told them I had secret access to the kernal of Windows and this is how I was able to do this.  There's more than one way to stay ahead of them young'uns!

Bob G.
If you can't dazzle them with your brilliance, you can always baffle them with your ... ugh . . . bovine scat!  :kewl:

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2009, 10:59:28 AM »
... The young kids at work saw me setting up directories (folders to them) using dos.  I told them I had secret access to the kernal of Windows and this is how I was able to do this.

:lol:
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2009, 11:12:30 AM »
You can customize the Ribbon.

If you wish that a tab had more panels to fill the empty space... then put whatever panels you want there :)

No it is more of an arrangement of current buttons in the panels to reduce white space.  See the image.  The part that bites is that I have to click again to get more buttons that are on the same panel.   :ugly:  It does not make sense.   However it might be that I have the ribbon as a palette on the second monitor.