Author Topic: AutoCAD 2010  (Read 24137 times)

Dinosaur

Re: AutoCAD 2010
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 03:17:42 PM »
I hated the taste of scotch too, but I kept drinking it because I couldn't think of a better way to get it down ... Then one day I decided if that was the only way, then I would just no longer partake ...

Off topic?  Perhaps, but maybe not as much as one may think.

KewlToyZ

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 03:25:20 PM »
This pig has lipstick, fish nets, chinese copy accessories, and 6" stilleto pumps, but "sigh" it is sadly a major resource hog.
I ran it on Windows 7 last night, not much difference in performance between XP or W7 as far as CAD software except the memory management is better in W7. My biggest dissapointment is that I can't get 2007 to run on Vista or Windows 7.

Bob Garner

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2009, 06:06:40 PM »
Wooot. 

This Friday I'm loadin' up ACAD 2010 on my new Windows Vista 64 bit Notebook.  O.K., it's only ACAD Lite, but I'll write up a blow by blow account anyway.

I have a nice stable XP machine that runs 2008 just great.  But I thought a little pain might be in order about now.

Bob G.

JCUTRONA

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009, 06:11:59 PM »
I hated the taste of scotch too, but I kept drinking it because I couldn't think of a better way to get it down ... Then one day I decided if that was the only way, then I would just no longer partake ...

Off topic?  Perhaps, but maybe not as much as one may think.

I'm strangely intrigued by this thought...  Prophesy maybe?...

Dinosaur

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2009, 06:53:49 PM »
...  Prophesy maybe?...
Prophecy only of what has already come to pass for me but something others may enjoy as much as I if they let themselves.  The whole sordid story is in my sig for all to see.  Autodesk and AutoCAD had been a primary focus of my professional life for nearly 18 years when circumstances forced  that to an end.  It is now nearly a full year since I last fired up AutoCAD anything except for some minor archiving and plotting chores that are inconvenient using SKM and I do not miss it at all.  I have trail versions of 2009 and 2010 vanilla and MAP along with 2009 Civil 3d at my disposal to keep my skills honed and I really have to convince myself to fire any of them up for a test run.  I have actually put in more time playing with Bricscad v9 than the Autodesk trials and have been quite impressed.
My point is that there are viable alternatives to Autodesk products available right now (including some vertical applications) and their names don't necessarily start with "microstation".

rhino

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2009, 02:18:28 AM »
This pig has lipstick, fish nets, chinese copy accessories, and 6" stilleto pumps, but "sigh" it is sadly a major resource hog.
I ran it on Windows 7 last night, not much difference in performance between XP or W7 as far as CAD software except the memory management is better in W7. My biggest dissapointment is that I can't get 2007 to run on Vista or Windows 7.

You can install v2008 to run on vista with no probs...its a polished 2007 release and anyday better than the 2009 mashup ribbon interface

As for 2010 - its a bit slow *yes* but me likes it still :D

- nonassociative hatches have a boundary that can be stretched and conformed to the stretched region...
- the leader is a sortof dynamic block with pont move and flip actions

when saving down to 2007 format i did not notice any issues with the above enhancements...yay!

I dont really customize the menu as I have always found it troublesome - just use the workspaces feature and learnt command aliases...the command line is really all you need and good left hand typing skills... to be super productive :D

sinc

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2009, 10:08:07 AM »
C3D is different.  It gets distinctly better every year.  2007 still-wasn't-ready-for-prime-time, 2008 finally crossed the hump where benefits really outweighed problems, and 2009 hit mostly-usable-if-often-frustrating.  We're seriously hoping that the 2010 release might be the year we can stop calling it a beta product.

I managed to get C3D 2008 to install on Vista x64, but I had to hack the installer to do it.  From what I've heard, the Vault 2008 doesn't work on Vista x64 (I haven't tried it) - that might be why Autodesk disabled the install.  Because after I got it installed, it seems to run just fine (and many times faster than on my old XP system).

James Cannon

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2009, 10:18:41 AM »
Has anyone had problems with multi-line attributes going to funky locations when opened in a release that does not support them?

Is there a solution?

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2009, 10:25:25 AM »
Has anyone had problems with multi-line attributes going to funky locations when opened in a release that does not support them?

Is there a solution?

It'll probably be in "Service Pack 2011".   :roll:
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

sinc

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2009, 11:30:10 AM »

Is there a solution?

It'll probably be in "Service Pack 2011".   :roll:

Nah...  The solution is "upgrade".   :lol:

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2009, 02:27:31 PM »
Just about to install my copy and play with it but since I and few others have just CD drives I copy the contents of the dvd to the server and then install from there.  I decided to look at the size of the folder .  Holy Tarp Batman is all I got to say.

I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Dinosaur

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2009, 02:41:19 PM »
The first hard drive I saw loaded with AutoCAD (r10) was only 40mb and had 2 partitions because DOS 3.3 couldn't use a drive that huge.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2009, 05:02:49 PM »
Well I installed it and I like the installer interfaced much better thought it was still slow.  But that could be becuase I am under powered in both the Ram and CPU departments.   :-)

Anyway I saw my first bug, the view pallett toolbar moves away form the pointer as you move it further from the Big A.  I have two monitors and when on the second monitor it must have been 5 inches away from the pointer. 
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

rhino

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2009, 05:06:06 AM »
Well I installed it and I like the installer interfaced much better thought it was still slow.  But that could be becuase I am under powered in both the Ram and CPU departments.   :-)

Anyway I saw my first bug, the view pallett toolbar moves away form the pointer as you move it further from the Big A.  I have two monitors and when on the second monitor it must have been 5 inches away from the pointer. 

could you post a screenshot - no issues for me n I have installed it on my laptop which is quite modest :

Core Duo T2450 (2.0 ghz)
1 gb ram
160 HDD
intel mobile G945 chipset for the graphics
Vista home premium - aero disabled

The installer does a take a good while - but I think its due to installing a runtime extension...

Bob Garner

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2009, 10:21:20 AM »
I got ACAD lt 2010 installed on my 64 bit notebook with no problems.  I wasn't expecting that.  Yes, it was an incredibly slow load.  I have to get it configured the way I like before I can really test it out.  The first and most important thing I learned was how to lose the ribbon and reset it to "classic AutoCAD" format.

Bob G.