Author Topic: LT Challenge . . .  (Read 19732 times)

Dinosaur

Re: LT Challenge . . .
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 02:32:49 PM »
The "0" took care of the version not being exploded - but then there is nothing to explode with a clipboard image . . . hence the hang on the one I need to have entities.  The image won't really work well anyway as it does not maintain a true x,y aspect ratio out of SKM, thick polylines are just long skinny frames and the text boxes you will see in the attached DXF  are just VERY wrong.  I think I need a real DXF, but when I have tried DXFIN instead of drag and drop I lose text style and settings - all revert to OOTB standards

Bob Wahr

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 02:43:51 PM »
DinØ,

How automated should this be?  Is selecting the DXF an option or should it select automatically?  You want two routines, one that explodes, one that doesn't, right?  Do you want the viewport to fit only, or kinda fit to scale?  Should it all be one button, or break it up?  For instance, if the may need to manipulate the VP manually, you might be best off having a button to lock the VP after it is set correctly.

M-dub

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2009, 02:44:33 PM »
Did you try inserting it, as Bob mentioned?  That's just as easy as pasting.

Bob Wahr

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2009, 03:05:20 PM »
Easier cuz ya doesn't has to copy it first.

Dinosaur

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 03:08:30 PM »
ok . . . insert from the command line will work.  The dxf option isn't there in the dialog and these guy's eyes glaze over fast when you mention typing a command so I never went further there.  It also clears up some of the text box problem areas.

also pay no attention to the big black spots in the posted DXF  - they are colored in-progress notes to self

Dinosaur

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2009, 03:10:43 PM »
I need to finish that one-line example now so I will answer Bob's questions tonight after work.

Bob Wahr

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2009, 03:11:24 PM »
DXFs will show up in the dialog if you change the file type.

M-dub

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2009, 03:13:43 PM »
The dxf option isn't there in the dialog .

Change the file type and it should.

Edit: D'oh!  Too late...

There are some more options that could be explored, but try that, first.

Dinosaur

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2009, 07:13:07 PM »
DinØ,

How automated should this be?  Is selecting the DXF an option or should it select automatically?  You want two routines, one that explodes, one that doesn't, right?  Do you want the viewport to fit only, or kinda fit to scale?  Should it all be one button, or break it up?  For instance, if the may need to manipulate the VP manually, you might be best off having a button to lock the VP after it is set correctly.
It needs to be as automated and bleeding edge as 2004 LT can get.  Automatic selection of the DXF would be perfect if but whatever it takes to make it all work will beat grinding it one step at a time.
Yes 2 routines are needed - one with normal entities and properties for the clients to do whatever they want to do with  and one that will be a holding place for the current drawing image to plot from AutoCAD rather than directly from SKM and the Windows form procedure they provide that we have outgrown.
There should be only 2 things that will make any viewport manipulation necessary.  We must occasionally extend the drawing area reflected in the viewport down at the bottom center   in those cases the bottom of the viewport must be adjusted to maintain the correct image size.  It is also possible that the entire drawing will be moved in relation to origin from the prior DXF to the current one or has changed size or shape enough to require a pan or new zoom extents.
Literally no further drawing modifications will be needed.

M-dub

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2009, 07:29:30 PM »
Do you need this on a dwg by dwg basis or do you have a whole whack of drawings that you could just do in a batch?

Dinosaur

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2009, 07:40:13 PM »
Our projects are usually between 1 and 5 sheets but my most recent project had 17 sheets.  All of the DXF files have to be created one at a time however and they could be processed that way just as easily as storing them all up.

M-dub

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2009, 07:48:37 PM »
Just that sometimes, while you're creating the drawing, there might be some 'unknowns' whereas if you wait until the job is done, you might have more information.

Bob Wahr

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2009, 07:58:37 PM »
I don't see anyway to autoselect the DXFs for insertion.  Is it going to be one DXF inserted into one drawing with one layout tab and one viewport?

M-dub

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2009, 08:00:55 PM »
Is there any correlation between the dxf and the dwg it's going into?

If you know that stuff, then I'd be scripting it... I have to go put rugrat #1 to bed, but will post back in a bit.

Dinosaur

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2009, 08:29:40 PM »
Autoselect would be gravy . . . they can handle picking the file from a file list.  The DXF does have the same file name as the DWG (at least when I make them) if that makes things easier and I can "impress" upon the others that importance if it does.
Mike, this is very much the actual plot as far as SKM is concerned . . . it does not go unless it is believed ready.  If a change is needed, it is a replot.

A drawing in SKM has no visible titleblock while working.  There is instead a collection of "forms" of different size and project information any of which can be attached at the time of plot.  There is a window defined in the form that the drawing is scaled to fit within when plotting.

The issue we are having is having is a license for about 20 users with only 3 using the analysis functions at any one time.  Of those, only one person each day has write permission to the library file where the forms are stored and currently there is no dependable way of know who has that magic seat on any given day.  To establish a new Project form, one has to create it basically in memory and then change program options to point to a local file on the user computer.  This disrupts all of the data blocks on every open drawing in that project.  The form is then copied from the memory library file into the local library, program options changed back to normal and repair the data blocks.  To plot with that new form, it must be copied each time from the local file into the shared library unless this has been done by the one in the magic chair.
Did I mention that plotting in SKM is NOT one of the program's high points.