Author Topic: Read only ACAD files  (Read 10007 times)

CADaver

Read only ACAD files
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2004, 02:22:18 PM »
Quote from: MP
Indeed. Mine processed text | attribs separately (i.e. retained as text), but it sounds like you prefer the full lobotomy ('course, that makes sense given the original post). :)

I WANT them to call and complain, PLEASE call me.  

Oh yes, PLEASE call me and complain about my drawings you DIMENSION-EXPLODING, EYE-BALL-DRAFTING, NOTHING-ON-COORDINATE, 3-PIECES-OF-TEXT-FOR-ONE-LINE, LINE-BREAKING-FOR-LINETYPE-DRAFTING, TITLE-BLOCK-EXPLODING, MOUTH-BREATHIN'...

... ummm ....

... excuse me, got a little carried away there...

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
Read only ACAD files
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2004, 02:27:12 PM »
Some might think this is an exaggerated froth. It's not. Having been a CAD Janitor for the last ten years I feel your pain and commend you for what amounts to a restrained response.
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.com • http://cadanalyst.slack.com • http://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

CADaver

Read only ACAD files
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2004, 02:55:39 PM »
Some might think this is an exaggerated froth. It's not. Having been a CAD Janitor for the last ten years I feel your pain and commend you for what amounts to a restrained response.
Fortunately it's only one or two that are outside my contractual control.  But in time, they too, will be assimilated or eliminated. :twisted:

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Read only ACAD files
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2004, 02:04:53 PM »
Looks like CADaver is turning into the BORG of the CAD universe....
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

whdjr

Read only ACAD files
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2004, 09:34:29 AM »
Quote from: CADAver
MP wrote:
Indeed. Mine processed text | attribs separately (i.e. retained as text), but it sounds like you prefer the full lobotomy ('course, that makes sense given the original post).  

I WANT them to call and complain, PLEASE call me.

Oh yes, PLEASE call me and complain about my drawings you DIMENSION-EXPLODING, EYE-BALL-DRAFTING, NOTHING-ON-COORDINATE, 3-PIECES-OF-TEXT-FOR-ONE-LINE, LINE-BREAKING-FOR-LINETYPE-DRAFTING, TITLE-BLOCK-EXPLODING, MOUTH-BREATHIN'...

... ummm ....

... excuse me, got a little carried away there...

Here!Here!
My sentiments exactly.[/quote]

Andrew H

Read only ACAD files
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2004, 10:41:47 AM »
I was thinking there was a way to change the access of the file (from windows explorer), but retain the ability to xref the drawing(s). I was trying it on my drawing, but with no luck. Maybe someone else knows more about this approach.

Maybe there is a way to password protect the files. Adjust the properties of the file to be read-only, then put a password on the file so that someone could still xref it, but couldn't actually modify it without the password.

Maybe someone could come up with a lisp that could do this?

CADaver

Read only ACAD files
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2004, 11:31:30 AM »
Quote from: Andrew H
I was thinking there was a way to change the access of the file (from windows explorer), but retain the ability to xref the drawing(s). I was trying it on my drawing, but with no luck. Maybe someone else knows more about this approach.

Maybe there is a way to password protect the files. Adjust the properties of the file to be read-only, then put a password on the file so that someone could still xref it, but couldn't actually modify it without the password.

Maybe someone could come up with a lisp that could do this?
Your method above works, but locks you out of your own file.

We setup directory "rights" on our network, based on discipline.   Mechanical guys can only WRITE to Mechanical directories, but they can READ everything else.  Saves a load of headaches.

Andrew H

Read only ACAD files
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2004, 11:37:43 AM »
We save our drawings to a new folder before e-mailing the current drawing to clients. That way we have a copy of the drawing exactly as the client received it and can track our changes. This fills up the server, but every so often we put the older stuff onto CDs to free up server space. One could change the rights on the saveas-ed copy and send that one (adding a password). Even if you didn't need to keep a copy of it, so the client can't change the information.

But I don't know how this would work over someone elses network, as in rights on there server. The only thing I can think of is a password.

MP

• Seagull
Read only ACAD files
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2004, 12:03:41 PM »
Quote from: CADaver
We setup directory "rights" on our network, based on discipline.   Mechanical guys can only WRITE to Mechanical directories, but they can READ everything else.  Saves a load of headaches.

That's exactly the way we have out network set up, tho us janitor types have full rights to all CAD related drives / directories; moo haa haa haa. :twisted:
cadanalyst@gmail.com • http://cadanalyst.slack.com • http://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

CADaver

Read only ACAD files
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2004, 12:29:58 PM »
We save our drawings to a new folder before e-mailing the current drawing to clients. That way we have a copy of the drawing exactly as the client received it and can track our changes. This fills up the server, but every so often we put the older stuff onto CDs to free up server space. One could change the rights on the saveas-ed copy and send that one (adding a password). Even if you didn't need to keep a copy of it, so the client can't change the information.

But I don't know how this would work over someone elses network, as in rights on there server. The only thing I can think of is a password.
Even the password can be fooled with a SAVEAS, so the client can edit the data.

CADaver

Read only ACAD files
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2004, 12:31:04 PM »

That's exactly the way we have out network set up, tho us janitor types have full rights to all CAD related drives / directories; moo haa haa haa. :twisted:
yeah, only with that "priviledge" comes all the grunt work of a "janitor".

Andrew H

Read only ACAD files
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2004, 12:34:27 PM »
Hmmm... If I receive a file I can only xref (because there is a password) and I do a save as, then the new drawing (the saveas file) would still have the xref that is password protected. The password I'm thinking of wouldn't go through ACAD, but rather through windows some how. This may or may not be a possibility, but maybe worth looking into if its that important.

MP

• Seagull
Read only ACAD files
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2004, 12:34:33 PM »
yeah, only with that "priviledge" comes all the grunt work
of a "janitor".

"Wet mop isle 42, we have a CADD spill. Move it, move it!"

CADaver

Read only ACAD files
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2004, 01:12:23 PM »
Hmmm... If I receive a file I can only xref (because there is a password) and I do a save as, then the new drawing (the saveas file) would still have the xref that is password protected. The password I'm thinking of wouldn't go through ACAD, but rather through windows some how. This may or may not be a possibility, but maybe worth looking into if its that important.
Opening the XREF'd file and SAVEAS a different file kills the protection.  The original file can then be replaced by the new file that is no longer protected.

Andrew H

Read only ACAD files
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2004, 02:18:01 PM »
That's true be the client would have to have the password to open the file.