Author Topic: Wire / Cable Label  (Read 31523 times)

M-dub

Re: Wire / Cable Label
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 03:19:03 PM »
Thanks Kate, but it didn't work any differently from the one that I had.  The attribute still stays put.  :?

Maybe I'm old fashioned and behind the times, but I'm still attached to my old DDI (DDINSERT) command.  That doesn't mean the 'container drawing' isn't a good idea but my personal preference is for the old way.  :oops:

Kate M

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 04:48:49 PM »
Really? I just downloaded the drawing, opened it, and the attribute moved.

You'll be converted to tool palettes eventually. ;-)

M-dub

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 10:10:00 AM »
Really? I just downloaded the drawing, opened it, and the attribute moved.
My bad... I brought it into the same drawing I was working on and it was still referring to the old definition.

You could be right... to be honest, I just haven't tried to use it because there's never been a need.

M-dub

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2009, 10:47:51 AM »
What you can do is have an invisible attribute that you fill in, then two pieces of text that reference the attribute with the appropriate justification. You still have to control it with a visibility state, though.

Sorry to keep bothing you but when you say 'text that references the attribute', do you mean MTEXT, Field, dtext, ?  I've never had a requirement for this before and therefore, don't know how to accomplish it.  I want to figure it out for myself, but this has stumped me a bit.

James Cannon

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2009, 10:59:12 AM »

I found it immensely offputting when I set up my tool pallette decently, and then tried to figure out how to have it shared across the network.

Might've been me.

I'm actually putting in the work to create 'insert' macros for all my blocks and creating a Ribbon tab for the block library... each tab for each discipline/section.  Yea, it's a bit more work up front, but managing partial-CUIs is awesomely more awesome than managing Tool Pallettes... but again, it may be my faults and ignorance of tool pallettes.

Kate M

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2009, 01:29:53 PM »
What you can do is have an invisible attribute that you fill in, then two pieces of text that reference the attribute with the appropriate justification. You still have to control it with a visibility state, though.

Sorry to keep bothing you but when you say 'text that references the attribute', do you mean MTEXT, Field, dtext, ?  I've never had a requirement for this before and therefore, don't know how to accomplish it.  I want to figure it out for myself, but this has stumped me a bit.
Y'know, I swear this should be possible with a combination of fields, attributes, and text, but every time I think I know how it works, I get tripped up again. So if somebody knows how to do it, speak up...in the meantime I'll keep looking.

Kate M

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2009, 01:31:24 PM »

I found it immensely offputting when I set up my tool pallette decently, and then tried to figure out how to have it shared across the network.
All I ever had to do was create them on one machine, export them to a network folder, and point the other computers to that folder. I know some people have had nightmares (and that it's not as easy in vertical products), but I never had a problem...

M-dub

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2009, 01:36:54 PM »
I thought there was a way to do it too.  I seem to remember a conversation about attributes and how you could enter the value once and have it show up in a number of locations.

I THOUGHT I had it with a field looking at the value of the attribute, but that attribute has to be in a block and the field can not be in the same block.  Might work if the attribute was nested, but then you can't enter the value unless you explode it.

Thanks though, Kate.

M-dub

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2009, 01:57:09 PM »
Anyway, here's a drawing with both blocks for left and right justified text if anyone wants 'em.

Crank

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2009, 09:26:01 AM »
I would have done it like attached file.

There is however one small problem because of an Autocad bug :( : If you edit the attribute and the length of the new string changes, the attribute must be on the left site, because otherwise the insertionpoint of the attribute moves.
Vault Professional 2023     +     AEC Collection

M-dub

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2009, 10:04:26 AM »
Thanks Crank.  That has potential for sure... I'm busy for the next couple of days, but would like to dessect yours to see how it was made.

Thanks again

M-dub

« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2009, 10:57:39 AM »
Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever tried using a dynamic block as a custom arrowhead on a leader?

M-dub

« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2009, 11:00:54 AM »
It doesn't work.  :(

M-dub

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2009, 04:01:37 PM »
Here's an updated version... With Multi-line Attributes
(See attached zip)

I wish I had time to figure out how to accomplish all of this with one single block.  That's why I was asking if it was possible to use a dynamic block for a custom leader arrowhead.

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2009, 04:15:46 PM »
Maybe this will get you going in the right direction?  This will eliminate the left & right justified blocks.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io