Author Topic: Project 3D to 2D with AutoCAD?  (Read 11561 times)

Sjano

Re: Project 3D to 2D with AutoCAD?
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2009, 09:45:46 PM »
All this trouble to try to use autodesk?

like you said in your first post Rhinoceros can do it easy, why not start and stay there or like CADaver says  Tekla runs circles around anything other BIM can do for steel fab

CADaver

Re: Project 3D to 2D with AutoCAD?
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2009, 12:07:15 AM »
Randy, and with all due respect, when you can show me how to get from the model to the detail drg as shown easily I'll be all ears.
Creating views straight from a 3d model may well work for some disciplines and it makes a lot of sense but for detailing you need to pull things apart somewhat to make things easier to make. Even Inventor does the same thing only it does have a 'live' link from the model to the details which is very good.
First off there are much better tools for detailing, but if you're still sticking with autocad, viewports and layer control can do that quite nicely, we did it for years
I call bull.
Call it anything you like, it won't alter the fact that we produced piping design drawings, piping fabrication iso's, structural design drawings and steel fabrication drawings from 3d AutoCAD models for years quite effectively  I think there may be samples somewhere on these boards.

I even bolded what I was specifically replying to, and you still managed to take my reply into a whole context I never intended.  I don't care what you did, or what you say "you" did.  I spoke specifically about Autocad's competence in displaying 3D models in viewports.
??  and my reply was specifically directed to using AutoCAD 3D models in paperspace viewports.  Showing 3D models in viewports is quite easy ... at least it is for us.

Views of AutoCAD models done in R2002 several years ago (I no longer have copies of the drawings we produced):

http://www.theswamp.org/screens/cadaver/render-exch6.png
http://www.theswamp.org/screens/cadaver/ULSD-ALL.png
http://www.theswamp.org/screens/cadaver/ULSD-ALL2.png

Autocad sucks at presenting the model in a layout to make connections and pieces show right.  They can't even handle line-display hierarchy decent enough to know not to show beams that are under other beams.
Just cuz' you haven't figured out how to do it yet, doesn't mean it can't be done.  Hiding 3D models in viewports is really very simple, dunno about LINEs though, haven't drawn a LINE in nearly ten years.

I said "line-display" as referring to the lines it generates from the model to visually represent the 3d objects on pdf/paper/plot.  Sorry if that was unclear.  I wasn't talking about a line object specifically, but thanks for the arbitrary trivia.
We have no issue with the display of 3D steel models in paperspace, you do know how to hide viewports, right?

I've gotten the reply from Autodesk techs saying "Oh yea, I see what problem  you're having.  Sorry, I get it too, and there's no solution.  Maybe next release..."
Well there's your problem, which "Autodesk tech" did you ask about detailing steel?? 

Didn't talk to anyone about detailing steel.  I talking to some of the techs who had intimate knowledge of the visualization programming about conflicts in object display in various visual styles, including 'hidden'
You found someone at Autodesk like that??  What was the specific issue?  I'm serous here, we don't have an issue with lines in hidden viewports.

Example for illustration purposes: I have one angle crossing atop a W-beam, in a top view, for example, it'll show the w-beam top flanges OVER the bottom leg of the angle.
Did you try HIDE??  Haven't had the problem since R13.  R14 and R2000 had some issues with cylinders not plotting correctly sometimes, but that's been a while.

Probably best I ignore that question.
okay, but it sounds like you igmored the feature.

For detailing things like this, I -often- resort to showing "flattened" or "solprof'd" views because it works.  I often have to create -disassociated- 2d geometry from my nice, neat, accurate 3d-model, to get the job done.
Waste of time, and only works for SOLIDs, won't work on blocks (or anything else), meaning you have to waste even more time during the initial build.

Gotta send out drawings.  When faced with "finish the job" or "don't finish the job" I found the choice quite simple.
ahhh ... the age old excuse for failing to learn how to use all the tools available.  I was wondering how long it would take for you to trot it out.  I think the second post in the discussion may be a new record. Congrats

Because in the end, that's what it's about... getting the job done, not maintaining some Holy Order of the CAD File.
Its not about any order of the cad file, its about productivity, or in the case of the scenario above the lack of productivity.  With the "stepped on " "stupid graphics", you've divorced the drawings from the model destroying any intelligence in the model, doubling the work required to maintain the files and quadrupling the chance of screwing something up, and then revisions have to be nearly completely re-built from scratch.

Yea, well, I guess I'm just good.  Funny, how stuff even got built before computers were even around, when -everything- was divorced from eachother.  I managed to do just fine as well.  

Sorry that's just not productive, at least it isn't for us.

Want a cookie?
Not at alll, I want more competitors just like you.

I love it when people tell us its impossible to do the stuff we've been doing for nearly a decade.

Another arbitrary bit of trivia, or are you replying to something I missed?
Obviously, you seem to have missed quite a bit.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 12:40:33 AM by CADaver »