Author Topic: VISRETAIN through ATTACHED Xrefs  (Read 9571 times)

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
VISRETAIN through ATTACHED Xrefs
« on: March 03, 2009, 12:37:16 PM »
Ok here goes -  :|
I have a site plan (DWG1) with several component files xrefed in as "attached" (vs. OVERLAY, so they will carry forward). VISRETAIN=1 in DWG1 and it is colored how I want it.
Then I xref the compiled site plan(DWG1) into another file with the sheet layouts in it (DWG2). VISRETAIN=0 in DWG2.
I want the colors and layer settings established in DWG1 to carry to DWG2, but all the Attached Xrefs come in in their original form (with all the original layer settings, not what I have set up in DWG1).

Is it possible to use ATTACHED xrefs and keep layer settings when the file is then xrefed into another dwg? ...or do I need to change the layer settings in either the original source file or the end target...?

Thanks in advance.
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager
Wetland Studies and Solutions

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
Re: VISRETAIN through ATTACHED Xrefs
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 12:47:23 PM »
Change the colors in the source files prior to attaching them.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 12:55:14 PM »
I was afraid that was the only way - I just hate to have to re-create the wheel :( and do it again...
Besides, these DWGs are used in multiple xrefs and I hate to need to change the original. I may be back to VISRETAIN = 1 and setting it all up in the end dwg for printing...
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 01:17:59 PM »
I was afraid that was the only way - I just hate to have to re-create the wheel :( and do it again...
Besides, these DWGs are used in multiple xrefs and I hate to need to change the original. I may be back to VISRETAIN = 1 and setting it all up in the end dwg for printing...

or create the drawings using MAP if possible...

A Plot MAP Set query could be just the ticket for you...
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 01:26:02 PM »
A slight change to the file names (add a space or a dash) and reattaching them to the base XREF will change the layer names in the referencing files and the new layer properties will be inherited.
CAD Tech

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 01:42:33 PM »
T Willey wrote something for this....lemme find it.

http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=8790.0

POW!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 01:46:24 PM by ronjonp »

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 01:55:29 PM »
T Willey wrote something for this....lemme find it.

http://www.theswamp.org/index.php?topic=8790.0

POW!

I think the OP wants something different.  The OP wants to copy the layer state from a different drawing than the original xref file.  Drawing A is the main drawing.  It gets xref'ed into drawing B; where the layers get changed ( color, linetype, etc... ).  Then drawing B gets xref'ed into drawing C, where drawing A comes along for the ride.  Drawing A's layers are as they were in drawing A, when the OP wants them as they are in drawing B.

If this is the case, it can be done.  I might even have something like that already, but it might be in C#.  I'll look once I know if I'm on the right path.
Tim

I don't want to ' end-up ', I want to ' become '. - Me

Please think about donating if this post helped you.

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 02:05:25 PM »

I think the OP wants something different.  The OP wants to copy the layer state from a different drawing than the original xref file.  Drawing A is the main drawing.  It gets xref'ed into drawing B; where the layers get changed ( color, linetype, etc... ).  Then drawing B gets xref'ed into drawing C, where drawing A comes along for the ride.  Drawing A's layers are as they were in drawing A, when the OP wants them as they are in drawing B.

If this is the case, it can be done.  I might even have something like that already, but it might be in C#.  I'll look once I know if I'm on the right path.

You got it, that is exactly the situation I have. Silly me - I thought there might be an easy system variable or something...
I didn't even think about code...Thanks for looking.
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 02:06:31 PM »

Would you like to expand on that a bit? I'm not familiar with it...
Thanks
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 02:09:04 PM »

You got it, that is exactly the situation I have. Silly me - I thought there might be an easy system variable or something...

Do you know how to compile C# ( .net ) code?  As that is what my current solution is written in.  If not, a lisp version would be easy to write.  I already have the pseudo code in my head.   :wink:
Tim

I don't want to ' end-up ', I want to ' become '. - Me

Please think about donating if this post helped you.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 02:20:50 PM »

Thanks

Witgh the Plot MAP Book query,

One sets up a MAP drawing,
attaches all required sources, and then uses the MAP query to extract data from the source files, and alters properties as required/desired using a range table.
Then Map  creates all your sheets for MAP BOOK...

in 2009:
The Plot Map Set functionality has been replaced with the Map Books feature. While you can continue to use your existing map plot sets, we recommend that you import your plot sets into map books.

That could be some source of confusion...it's a great tool though..

From Help Overview:

A map book divides your map into multiple “tiles” and displays each tile on a separate page. Picture a grid overlaying your map. Each section of the grid represents a tile. Once you create a map book, you can publish the entire map or selected tiles to a plotter or to DWF.

Each map book is associated with an AutoCAD sheet set. For more information about AutoCAD sheet sets, see Create and Manage a Sheet Set in the AutoCAD Help.

Note: If a map book becomes dissociated from its sheet set (for example, if you rename the map file after creating a map book), you will be prompted to regenerate the sheet set when you select an existing map book or create a new map book. You can choose the sheet set from the older version of the map file, or you can create a new one. To regenerate the sheet set at any other time, right-click the map book (on the Map Book tab of the Task Pane) and choose Rebuild Sheet Set. When you package and send your map files to a recipient using eTransmit, the sheet set is packaged with the map file and your recipient does not have to regenerate it.
To create a map book, you must first set up a map book template. You can start with a sample template and adapt it to your needs. When the template is complete, you generate the map book. You can update the original map at any time and regenerate the map book without changing the template, or you can change the template and regenerate the map book. The new map book will reflect your changes.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 02:30:09 PM »

Do you know how to compile C# ( .net ) code?  As that is what my current solution is written in.  If not, a lisp version would be easy to write.  I already have the pseudo code in my head.   :wink:

Lisp would be awesome (complete noob at lisp, but I am learning the basics) - completely clueless when it comes to C#...

Thank you
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 02:34:25 PM »

Thanks

Witgh the Plot MAP Book query,

One sets up a MAP drawing,
attaches all required sources, and then uses the MAP query to extract data from the source files, and alters properties as required/desired using a range table.
Then Map  creates all your sheets for MAP BOOK...

in 2009:
The Plot Map Set functionality has been replaced with the Map Books feature. While you can continue to use your existing map plot sets, we recommend that you import your plot sets into map books.

That could be some source of confusion...it's a great tool though..

From Help Overview:

A map book divides your map into multiple “tiles” and displays each tile on a separate page. Picture a grid overlaying your map. Each section of the grid represents a tile. Once you create a map book, you can publish the entire map or selected tiles to a plotter or to DWF.

Each map book is associated with an AutoCAD sheet set. For more information about AutoCAD sheet sets, see Create and Manage a Sheet Set in the AutoCAD Help.

Note: If a map book becomes dissociated from its sheet set (for example, if you rename the map file after creating a map book), you will be prompted to regenerate the sheet set when you select an existing map book or create a new map book. You can choose the sheet set from the older version of the map file, or you can create a new one. To regenerate the sheet set at any other time, right-click the map book (on the Map Book tab of the Task Pane) and choose Rebuild Sheet Set. When you package and send your map files to a recipient using eTransmit, the sheet set is packaged with the map file and your recipient does not have to regenerate it.
To create a map book, you must first set up a map book template. You can start with a sample template and adapt it to your needs. When the template is complete, you generate the map book. You can update the original map at any time and regenerate the map book without changing the template, or you can change the template and regenerate the map book. The new map book will reflect your changes.

Thanks - I'll dig into that a bit - I can see some other good applications for this type of thing...
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

ronjonp

• Needs a day job
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 02:35:47 PM »
So if I understand you correctly...you have one master drawing with all the overlays that looks exactly how you want it. But when you xref those drawings into another drawing...the layers revert to the original overlays since visretain is set to 1 in the original?

Windows 11 x64 - AutoCAD /C3D 2023

Custom Build PC

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 02:43:08 PM »
Thanks - I'll dig into that a bit - I can see some other good applications for this type of thing...
MAP is hugely powerful...

I just wish autodesk would restore or ADD MAP functionality to C3D objects.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell