Author Topic: British Standards help  (Read 4700 times)

vegbruiser

British Standards help
« on: February 05, 2009, 07:20:25 AM »
Hi all,
   I was wondering if someone might be able to help me with the above problem: -

Our client has recently started questioning our dimensioning/standards etc. when using Autodesk Inventor - granted, this is the "CAD General" forum - but it applies to AutoCAD too.

I was wondering what (if any) books you might be able to recommend on the basis of British Standard 308.

My boss & I have trawled through the British standards website, and come up with the attached (pdf) list.

Any help/suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

(I covered British Standard 308 drawing practices when I was at college, but that was a decade ago, and the memory of what goes where etc. has long since faded.)

SDETERS

Re: British Standards help
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 08:00:41 AM »
What standards are you using at the current time?

What type of drawings are you producing?

vegbruiser

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 08:06:50 AM »
That's just it, due to Inventor being quite clever when it comes to dimensioning things, we're using the built-in ISO Standards. Other than that, we've kind of been making it up as we go along - copying drawings the client has provided to us seems to have been working too, but it'd be nice to have something concrete to work with/to.

The drawings we've been producing are primarily for manufacturing purposes and are all component parts of larger assemblies (none of which are any bigger than the desk I'm currently sat at)

Thanks.

SDETERS

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 08:33:48 AM »
That's just it, due to Inventor being quite clever when it comes to dimensioning things, we're using the built-in ISO Standards.

Are you using GD&t?  Please post a sample drawing so we can see how you are dimensioning a part. 

Another standard you Need to think about is     http://webstore.ansi.org/RecordDetail.aspx?sku=ANSI%2fASME+Y14.5M-1994+(R1999

New Shooz

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 08:36:24 AM »
I'm not quite sure what ANSI has to do with British Standards - I thought ANSI were American only ?

SDETERS

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 08:40:29 AM »
OOPs totally missed the British part   :oops:  Need to read more carefully I hate when I do that My bad.

Look at this link  Thanks

http://www.g-tol.co.uk/in1.htm

vegbruiser

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 09:33:09 AM »
thanks guys, we've decided to get a copy of BS8888:2008 from here: -

http://www.bsi-global.com/en/Shop/Publication-Detail/?pid=000000000030171389

:-)

Bob

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 12:00:51 PM »
I have full access to BSOL. If you want me to check a standard out before you purchase it, let me know.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 04:34:40 AM by Bob »