Author Topic: complex curvy shapes  (Read 3181 times)

jac

complex curvy shapes
« on: December 28, 2008, 09:47:33 AM »
Hello everyone and seasons greetings. I searched for this topic on the internet and wound up here.

I followed Jose's advice using edgesurf to create a propeller. You can see it here:

wwwdotlightmypumpdotcom/blade3dotdwg

I am using Acad 2007.

I used thin elliptical sections that were spaced upwards on the z-axis and individually rotated. I connected the edges with a 3dpoly and then egdesurfed the section  between ellipses.

I used a cylinder solid as the hub. At this point I would like to trim the connection between the prop root and the cylinder but the union command will not work.  Any suggestions?

I am also trying to do a model of a complicated chair.

wwwdotlightmypumpdotcom/my_chair2dotdwg

I created this by first making a polyline of the edge of the chair ( if you are sitting, the edge coresponding to your left side) and then extruding it. I then fiilleted (a fishy term) the edges. Now the problem is how to make the back of the seat narrower than the front. Here is a picture of the chair for more clarity:

wwwdotlightmypumpdotcom/my_chair-picdotjpg

Any suggestions? It's amazing how even a simple chair can be complicated to model correclty in 3D.

And finally, thanks for your patience, can you recommend a good book to help modelling these types of surfaces.

Cheers,

Jacques

Bob

Re: complex curvy shapes
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 07:59:10 AM »
Hi there,

For a start, you seem to be mixing surfaces with solids.

Others will be able to correct me, but union can only be performed on solids and regions (regions are area shapes with no thickness).

I would check out the loft command. (This should be in your help file). It is like a complicated extrude command.

http://www.dailyautocad.com/autocad/3d-modeling-9-loft/

I wholey recommend that you forget surface modelling and stick to solid modelling.

I don't seem to be able to access your pages. You should be able to post the address without DOT.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 08:04:53 AM by Bob »