Author Topic: A.F.F. Notation  (Read 21974 times)

Bob Wahr

Re: A.F.F. Notation
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2009, 06:09:01 PM »
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=3007657&linkID=9240615
Applies to:
AutoCADŽ 2002

Although from looking at the other link you gave it looks like it might have been that way through 2005.

Doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

The advantage to defpoints over a user created non-plotting layer is that it won't ever accidentally become a plotting layer.  I could see that as being a valid argument if you were giving DWG files to someone else for plotting.

whdjr

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2009, 08:09:52 AM »
Nice example of what I was talking about.
One question, is your dimension precision normally set to display 256s of an inch? 
Yes, our precision is always set to 1/256.  Why? you may ask.  Well, "Can't you see that small on paper?".  No really the reason we have it set that low is because we dimension in actual dimensions instead of nominal dimensions.  We only show dims on our sheets to an 1/8" of an inch, but we have long strands of dimensions, like 30 dims in 400 feet, and those small "rounding errors" by AUTOCAD add up over the length of the building so to make it fool proof we set our precision very low.  That way when a user "accidentally" picks the wrong point and they get a low fraction it jumps out at them and says, "Hmm, This has got to be wrong.  Let me fix it."  Just our little way of quality control.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2009, 08:18:21 AM »
Nice example of what I was talking about.
One question, is your dimension precision normally set to display 256s of an inch? 
Yes, our precision is always set to 1/256.  Why? you may ask.  Well, "Can't you see that small on paper?".  No really the reason we have it set that low is because we dimension in actual dimensions instead of nominal dimensions.  We only show dims on our sheets to an 1/8" of an inch, but we have long strands of dimensions, like 30 dims in 400 feet, and those small "rounding errors" by AUTOCAD add up over the length of the building so to make it fool proof we set our precision very low.  That way when a user "accidentally" picks the wrong point and they get a low fraction it jumps out at them and says, "Hmm, This has got to be wrong.  Let me fix it."  Just our little way of quality control.
We have run into that before and that is why I encourage the use of the "from" Osnap.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

whdjr

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2009, 08:27:03 AM »
We have run into that before and that is why I encourage the use of the "from" Osnap.

You know, I've never figured out how the "from" osnap worked.

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2009, 08:32:42 AM »

You snap FROM here to there!   :lol:  I never figured it out either... I don't think I'm missing much.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

Luke

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2009, 08:34:02 AM »

I've always gone into the menu and changed the from back to the previous command  "TRACKING"

whdjr

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2009, 08:38:03 AM »

I've always gone into the menu and changed the from back to the previous command  "TRACKING"

I was thinking it was very similar to "Tracking".

Luke

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2009, 08:39:53 AM »
It is very similar to tracking. oops, I was thinking they replaced tracking w/ from but they replaced tracking w/ temporary tracking and that is what I changed back to tracking.  Sorry

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2009, 09:25:33 AM »
Think about it.  The item that you are locating has to be in relation to something else.  I have reprogram my F1 key to the From Osnap.  I like tracking before they fiddled with it.  If I could get the old version back then the two become even more powerful.

whdjr

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2009, 09:41:27 AM »
Still don't see it.

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2009, 10:46:52 AM »

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2009, 10:50:15 AM »
Still don't see it.
Command: l
LINE Specify first point: from
Base point:

Rt-Click sdecond option down,,,FROM
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

whdjr

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2009, 11:17:53 AM »
No, that's not what I'm talking about.  I see the command.  I don't see it's usefulness.

dustinthiesse

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2009, 04:08:34 PM »
No, that's not what I'm talking about.  I see the command.  I don't see it's usefulness.

Say you want to draw a line that starts at P1 and ends 100 units below P2:

LINE
select P1
rt-click...snap overrides...from
select P2
track down and enter 100!

whdjr

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2009, 07:59:08 AM »
Well, now that I know how it works I'll have to look for ways to use it.  I don't know how I've survived AUTOCAD all these years without using it. :lol:

Thanks for the info d-unit.