Author Topic: Joist Section/Elevation/Plan stretching  (Read 4251 times)

T-Square

Joist Section/Elevation/Plan stretching
« on: January 04, 2009, 05:31:22 PM »
Hello,

db info:

Boise BCI "West" series joists. Section, Elevation and Plan views. Lookup tables for each vis state.

I would like to be able to select a joist type in one view and have it update the other vis states accordingly. So, if I change my mind and want an elevation vs. a section I just change the view and the size/type matches what I had already selected in the elevation view. I have tried to add the stretching of the non-current vis state, but I have been getting the wrong results.

I don't know how I would adjust the width of the flange in plan view to match the width of what I had selected initially. It only has a length(of joist) and a flange width.

Also, is there a way to adjust the order of values in the "Properties" tool palette? One has the vis state in one position, but in another position in another vis state. See db.

I may or may not be correct in how I am doing this and I have other info in the drawings... i.e., layer for hatch set to how I use it...

Thanks for the assistance.

dustinthiesse

Re: Joist Section/Elevation/Plan stretching
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 09:25:18 AM »
Also, is there a way to adjust the order of values in the "Properties" tool palette? One has the vis state in one position, but in another position in another vis state. See db.

I think the order is controlled by the order in which each property was created.  So it looks like you created the JOIST_LENGTH1 parameter before the Visibility and lookup parameters, but the JOIST_LENGTH_PLAN parameter was created after the Visibility and lookup parameters.

I'm not sure if there is a way to change that order without recreating the parameters in the proper order and reassigning the actions.

As for your other question about the different visibility states knowing what was selected for the other states...I think you'd have to set up your block differently.  Instead of treating each visibility state separately, try condensing the three lookup tables into one.  You can still change the properties of the invisible parameters even though they may be invisible.

whdjr

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 09:42:49 AM »
Your on the right track T-square.  Your lookup on the section that changes the width also needs to have the dimension from the plan that controls the width.  Then when you select that lookup item all the dim values will change, even in other states.  That goes for the length in elevation and plan, and any others that are the same distance.

T-Square

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 03:58:57 PM »
How about this?

One thing about the joist plan and elevation. I thought it would be cool to have the lengths match so that if one wanted to flip the joist from plan to elevation... and vise versa... the lengths would match. I opted for the left and right stretch actions of the flange width in plan and section. I don't know how I would get the joist length to match if the direction of the objects being stretched do so in different directions(angles). ???

Once I sat down and got out that ancient drafting instrument... pentel 0.5mm... and sketched out the params/actions... the lookup table was easy. Sure do wish one could bi-directionally handle lookup tables via a database like Excel.

Thoughts?

whdjr

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 04:06:05 PM »
Looks good! :-)

T-Square

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 04:06:59 PM »
Updated...

removed the "show property" of the joist height... which prevents "custom" values :-)