Author Topic: Can I turn off dynamic grips  (Read 9569 times)

quamper

Re: Can I turn off dynamic grips
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2009, 10:24:58 AM »
You don't actually need the Lookup unless you are trying to change multiple parameters at once. In this case since all you are doing is changing the height simply making the height parameter (Distance1 or whatever it is currently called) to Number of Grips to 0 and show properties yes (which is the default and one good reason to name your properties) and in your Value list set your valid choices which you've already done.

I don't understand what your trying to say here.  He asked for it to be non editable and that is what I provided.

Here's a sample both the lookup version and the non lookup version can do the exact same thing. The lookup version is just adding an extra Parameter and Action. I think Eloquintet is looking for there to not be any grips at all. Just don't teach your users that you can change dynamic block settings via the property palette.

Yours is by no means wrong, it's just extra in this situation I think.

whdjr

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2009, 10:34:26 AM »
How is yours simpler than the 1 I provided.  I would venture to guess most users don't want to have to change their dimensions via the props box.  I know I don't.

quamper

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2009, 10:41:42 AM »
I would venture to guess most users don't want to have to change their dimensions via the props box.  I know I don't.

Most probably don't. It depends on the application I suppose. I think it makes perfect sense in some situations.

But in this case he doesn't want any grips at all, so the user doesn't know they can edit it. This accomplishes that. Plus most people neglect to realize that all their dynamic properties show in in the properties palette which should hopefully give you more reason to name all of your properties (and hopefully actions as well).

A great example of where the lookup is super helpful is say 10, 20, 30, 40 area all potentially valid heights but 30 is only a valid height when it is 20 wide. A lookup is absolutely vital there otherwise someone might pick invalid choices.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 10:46:06 AM by Quamper »

quamper

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2009, 10:54:45 AM »
I guess I should clarify I'm being specific for other peoples benefit who might be reading this. Not to argue with you at all. Like I said what you did is perfectly valid. But someone who might be new to dynamic blocks might get turned around. Just trying to be helpful in that regard  :-)