Author Topic: 3D sphere  (Read 5981 times)

Notsober

3D sphere
« on: December 22, 2008, 10:57:10 AM »
Has anybody ever seen this challenge? I saw it several years ago when I worked with SolidWorks, but can't remember the solution...

Bob Wahr

Re: 3D sphere
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 11:17:51 AM »
Draw a sphere, make three viewports, print?

Jochen

• Newt
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 11:24:38 AM »
See the attachement KNOTEN.dwg.
Have a look for the Layers Rohr1, Rohr2 and Rohr3.
The resulting 3DSOLID comes from
INTERSECT or INTERFERE
Regards
Jochen
BTW.: Merry Christmas, Frohes Fest, s rozhdestvom...
for all who are working worldwide on DWG's... (see FF_2.dwg)

Notsober

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 11:25:38 AM »
Draw a sphere, make three viewports, print?

huh?

if you misunderstood, lemme clarify.

what is this 2d dwg supposed to look like in 3d?

I don't know how to work 3D in A2004, that's why I'm asking. I can do 3D in Inventor and SolidWorks all day long, but I don't have those progs anymore...

Notsober

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 11:29:56 AM »
See the attachement KNOTEN.dwg.
Have a look for the Layers Rohr1, Rohr2 and Rohr3.
The resulting 3DSOLID comes from
INTERSECT or INTERFERE
Regards
Jochen
BTW.: Merry Christmas, Frohes Fest, s rozhdestvom...
for all who are working worldwide on DWG's... (see FF_2.dwg)

sehr gut mein Freund!!

i think tho there is actually a second solution too!

jnieman

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 12:09:26 PM »
Just picturing in my head... model a sphere, then subtract ... ok scrub that, it's gonna take more work to explain it than model it.. here:
attached:

It could technically involve any amount of surface transitions, I chose to show a 90degree notch out, but of course any amount of rounding, that would not result in a hard edge, so not to show an additional line, could occur in the 'voids' I modeled.

Notsober

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 12:33:33 PM »
Just picturing in my head... model a sphere, then subtract ... ok scrub that, it's gonna take more work to explain it than model it.. here:
attached:

It could technically involve any amount of surface transitions, I chose to show a 90degree notch out, but of course any amount of rounding, that would not result in a hard edge, so not to show an additional line, could occur in the 'voids' I modeled.

that's awesome dude... this was exactly how I rendered it back in 2003, but instructor said that wasn't the solution HE was looking for  :ugly:

jnieman

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 12:41:01 PM »
attached:

that's awesome dude... this was exactly how I rendered it back in 2003, but instructor said that wasn't the solution HE was looking for  :ugly:

Then he asked the wrong question :P

Notsober

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 02:55:08 PM »
so does that mean there's in fact 3 solutions?

cuz I still remember vaguely something else...

if only I had Inventor, or SolidWorks again   :kewl:

jnieman

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 03:08:27 PM »
I don't think software has anything to do with it.

I can make in AutoCAD, anything that you can, in Inventor.  It might not DO as much as it does in Inventor, but I can make it, I'm sure :P

The only solution I can think of... is the one that was posted by Jochen.  3 cylinders, one along each axis, all equal diamter which is also equal to all the cylinders height (same height as it's diameter I mean), all combined using "INTERSECT" which results in his funky shape.

Notsober

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 03:15:41 PM »
I don't think software has anything to do with it.

sure it does... YOU know how to do 3D in ACAD. I don't. I only know how to do 3D in INVENTOR or SOLIDWORKS (mainly because they both are very similar).

attached is as far as I can get with 3D in A2004...

MickD

• King Gator
  • (x-in)->[process]->(y-out) ... simples!
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 04:03:45 PM »
I just created 4 boxes and a sphere then subtracted the boxes, same way/result as Josh but I left a copy of the before subtraction if that helps.
UCS is key with vanilla acad, I use 'face' quite a lot to get into the right modeling plane, the rest is just boolean modifications with a bit of forethought on how to get there.
"Programming is really just the mundane aspect of expressing a solution to a problem."
- John Carmack

"Short cuts make long delays,' argued Pippin.”
- J.R.R. Tolkien