Author Topic: DLEDIT v.1 (Line type Editor) !  (Read 9889 times)

TonyT

Re: DLEDIT v.1 (Line type Editor) !
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2008, 05:51:45 PM »
MP,...i'm not sure realy if i understand..
what do you mean by "hard coding color" ?

Generally speaking, it is considered bad practice to hard code properties, that is, specifying anything other than bylayer or byblock for colors, line types, line weights ad nauseum. Some of the glitzy apps you've been penning lately, while having visual appeal to the uninformed, are pretty much encouraging users to use AutoCAD in a way most CADD managers have spent years trying to thwart. Before labeling me a malcontent wear the shoes of a CADD janitor who has cleaned up tens of thousands of drawings far too many times because people fail to follow instructions and / or use tools that encourage said bad practices.

I disagree.  Your point of view seems to be one that's rooted in what you
and the people you work with use AutoCAD for. Not everyone does that.
If you used it for patent drawings (granted it's definitely overkill), you
would literally kill for what Andrea is doing.

I don't suppose you've done any mapping, or wrestled with getting some
arc-aligned text 'just right', lately, eh?

Andrea

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2008, 11:00:11 AM »
Well....

for who want to know..
there is a command for it..

command:SETBYLAYER
running with SETBYLAYERMODE variable.
That change block entity propreties.  :roll:

New release..

Dledit 1.5

- Fix: entity transformed to polyline added.
 - Fix: variable message prompt

Enjoy !

« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 02:10:28 PM by Andrea »
Keep smile...

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2009, 11:08:57 AM »
Your point of view seems to be one that's rooted in what you and the people you work with use AutoCAD for.

Absolutely. Based on my experience it is generally considered bad practice to hard code colors, line types et al. I have worked in a wide variety of industries and disciplines over many years and have never seen a spec that mandated hard coding properties.

Is it possible there are exceptions to the rule? Certainly. But I maintain that generally speaking, hard coding properties is not a good tactic and therefore, tools like this out in the wild can potentially cause more grief than good.

In my opinion, each and every one of us has a duty to identify things that, in our experience, are flawed with respect to the common good, no matter how it may impact our popularity, regardless the possibility our opinion may not be definitive. While I'm not blessed with the gift of being able to put things in a way that's palatable to all it's more important to me to have integrity in what I do; to speak up when I see something afoul, ergo my first post in this thread.

I appreciate your contribution to this thread Tony, even though I may not agree with your perspective. Conversations like this are vital if we, as a collective, are to understand and appreciate all facets of a given issue.

Michael.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 12:42:48 PM by MP »
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

cjw

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2009, 03:21:20 AM »
Super cool
nice tool...

Andrea

• Water Moccasin
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2009, 11:26:10 AM »
Super cool
nice tool...

Thanks Cj.    ;-)
Keep smile...

Sebb77

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2009, 09:45:47 AM »
Couldn't agree more with TonyT. I installed both Andrea's DHatch and DLedit for a tech who is basically drawing retaining walls typical cross-section all year round. He looks like he just had a major salary raise  :-) he's totally grateful.

Thanks Andrea. By the way you inspired me what i think gonna be a cool little routine, however i cannot spit it out as fast as you do (ok i'll change my Jeff Gordon's car pic for something else ;-) ).