Author Topic: Geo-Pak to Civil 3D to Geo-Pak  (Read 6374 times)

dfarris75

Geo-Pak to Civil 3D to Geo-Pak
« on: December 02, 2008, 09:47:06 AM »
We are fixin to start on a project in which we are working in conjunction with another firm who uses Geo-Pak/Microstation V8. We have Microstation V7. We have Civil 3D. We prefer to do our work in Civil 3D and export to V8, but I'm afraid it won't be possible to seamlessly work together in this fashion.

Advice?

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
Re: Geo-Pak to Civil 3D to Geo-Pak
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 11:49:22 AM »
Bid high!

I often work with firms using Mickeystation (both versions) and no matter what I do, we always run into some issues. Usually minor enough, but it takes a little time and lots of open communication to find the issues and correct them...
My $.02...
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager
Wetland Studies and Solutions

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

dfarris75

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 04:46:52 PM »
Thanks Chulse.

What is the difference between importing a .dgn file by  File > Import vs. Map > Tools > Import? I see that with the Map menu I get another dialog that allows coordinate system transformation and some other options.

Is there a way to maintain text styles and such between formats?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 06:28:14 PM »
Thanks Chulse.

What is the difference between importing a .dgn file by  File > Import vs. Map > Tools > Import? I see that with the Map menu I get another dialog that allows coordinate system transformation and some other options.

Is there a way to maintain text styles and such between formats?

Yes, if you EXPORT to dgn and you have their seed file and cell library, there are options to map them one to one.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

dfarris75

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 08:36:36 AM »
Strangely, I got their seed file yesterday and gave it a shot, but got a message saying it wasn't a v8 seed file and was unusable. I believe it was a v8 file though...?

dfarris75

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 09:29:39 AM »
I see that GeoPak can import/export LandXML too. Anyone have any experience with that and how well it might work between GeoPak and Civil 3d (or Land Desktop)?

I think I could work my way through creating a pipe network for this project, but I will likely need to create detailed structures. Can this be done in Civil 3d?

On the first segment of this project we did a few years ago we did detailed structure sections as opposed to just plain skeleton structures. If I could do that with Civil 3d it would totally rock. I haven't learned to create structures for this though. If I remember right the Autodesk supplied tutorials and help file don't give much assistance in the dept. I'll check that again.

dfarris75

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 01:51:21 PM »
I finally found a tutorial on Part Builder on this guys blog > http://civil2inventor.wordpress.com/
I am beginning to understand it, but man it can get really busy creating a detailed structure rather than a generic structure. :lol: It may take some time.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 06:23:36 PM »
one of the keys to success with this is to be sure to create an isometric sketch of the part components prior to working on the part in part builder.

And remember to back up the part catalog before working in there.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

dfarris75

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 09:45:59 AM »
I did find a tidbit on file conversions between the two. Not sure it will resolve the issue, but we'll see.

http://www.digitalcad.com/2001/03_mar/features/autocadzone/acz3_8.htm

http://discussion.autodesk.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=6072480

dfarris75

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 10:20:03 AM »
Well after a week of testing (between AutoCAD 2008 and Microstation v7) I'm feeling more confident. I must say though it has been tedious. I've tested the difference between exporting a .dgn via Map > Tools > Export, Exporting to AutoCAD 2000 and opening in Microstation, and doing a Saveas to R2000 and opening in Microstation. Of course I get different results each time seemingly. I guess with the Map Export I get different results due to the Autodesk supplied seed file that it reads. I get the same result pretty much with a Export to 2000 and Saveas to 2000, but the Saveas to 2000 causes the file to increase in size some.

Through my research and testing I have found that layers convert easily, particularly if you use the Microstation level numbering as opposed to layer names. Going to v8 is different as I understand. Since I don't have v8 I can't do the testing there.

Colors transfer instantly according to color number and are pretty easy to match up how you want.

The one thing I notice about a file exported from Microstation is that when you get it into Acad it is set to unitless so you have to set that to feet for it to come back into Microstation properly. This is probably avoidable with proper setup of import/export settings in both Microstation and AutoCAD.

Linetypes, so long as they are simple linetypes, convert fairly well. Complex types with shape files and or text in them don't come across. I have a feeling this is fixable too, but not sure how to get around it and it doesn't matter that much as it is not that necessary for us to use those linetypes.

Fonts are a bear. I haven't figured out how to get those to do what I want yet.

Fun fun.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 11:49:58 AM »
you will want to get the seed file from the folks you are doing work for/with so that you can point to that instead of the autodesk supplied one, your results should be better then

have you experimented with using XML to pass the data instead of going DWG to DGN?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

dfarris75

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2008, 04:12:17 PM »
I asked them about getting land xml and he said he can't do that. I have a feeling he's a little "green" with the usage of the program. He did give me a seed file, but oddly it seems to be a v7 seed file rather than v8 which I asked him for. When I tried to use it for an export it didn't work, but then I may have been attempting to use it as a v8 seed file... Hmmm. I'll have to try that again Monday to be sure.

I was able to get a file with the 3d faces for the eg, but I guess GeoPak doesn't actually create a surface from the road model. I assume it is similar to Civil 3d's corridor. He said all he could give me was the shape file which appears to be nothing more than a solid hatch in the dwg. He sent another cad file that looks to be sample lines, but it is all flat. I had asked him if he could actually export the shape as a real shape file and I could try bringing it in with Map, but he didn't respond to that request. If you like I can send you what he provided when I get to work Monday and perhaps you could figure it out.

I think we'll just be doing everything flat as I don't have the time to mash out all the wrinkles of setting up the pipes and structures as I had really hoped. We only have a few weeks til the first sub and there are 2 holidays in that time as you know. The suckiest part is doing the structure sections, especially since I'll have to do them in 2d. Not that it's that bad really though, just time consuming.

dfarris75

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2008, 04:16:19 PM »
Maybe I should send him this document.
Or this one.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 04:19:35 PM by rustysilo »

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 10:38:36 AM »

Linetypes, so long as they are simple linetypes, convert fairly well. Complex types with shape files and or text in them don't come across. I have a feeling this is fixable too, but not sure how to get around it and it doesn't matter that much as it is not that necessary for us to use those linetypes.

Fun fun.

Were you ever able to get complex linetypes to transfer? I am faced with one of these now also :(

Thanks
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager
Wetland Studies and Solutions

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

dfarris75

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 11:43:12 AM »
No, but then I didn't really try that hard either. On their end they should be able to map the linetypes when they open or import the .dwg file.