Author Topic: Polar stretch  (Read 5036 times)

Bob Wahr

Polar stretch
« on: November 25, 2008, 03:54:07 PM »
I haven't done a whole lot with dynamic blocks.  To date, I've been able to muddle through what I have done OK.  This one is bugging me though.

What I've got is a quarter circle shaped symbol composed of:
  • two lines
  • one arc
  • one associative hatch

What I want it to do:
  • one of the lines should rotate
  • the end of the arc attached to that line should stretch with it, keeping the same center point and radius
  • The hatch should update

It seems to me that polar stretch would do this, no problem.  I can't get it to though.  I can get the line to rotate perfectly.  The arc either stretches to the cursor, changing the center point and radius, or it rotates instead of stretching.  The hatch doesn't update.  I am pretty sure that the hatch problem is because my boundary loses it's closedness and my hatch loses it associativity, or just can't hatch the new boundary correctly.

Any insight for me?

Bob Wahr

Re: Polar stretch
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 04:27:03 PM »
Could a moderator type pleaase move this to the dyn blks area.  Must have misclicked.

MP

• Seagull
  • Have thousands of dwgs to process? Contact me.
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 04:28:41 PM »
done / no prob
Engineering Technologist • CAD Automation Practitioner
Automation ▸ Design ▸ Drafting ▸ Document Control ▸ Client
cadanalyst@gmail.comhttp://cadanalyst.slack.comhttp://linkedin.com/in/cadanalyst

Serge J. Gianolla

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 10:46:08 PM »
I haven't done a whole lot with dynamic blocks.  To date, I've been able to muddle through what I have done OK.  This one is bugging me though.

What I've got is a quarter circle shaped symbol composed of:
  • two lines
  • one arc
  • one associative hatch

What I want it to do:
  • one of the lines should rotate
  • the end of the arc attached to that line should stretch with it, keeping the same center point and radius
  • The hatch should update

It seems to me that polar stretch would do this, no problem.  I can't get it to though.  I can get the line to rotate perfectly.  The arc either stretches to the cursor, changing the center point and radius, or it rotates instead of stretching.  The hatch doesn't update.  I am pretty sure that the hatch problem is because my boundary loses it's closedness and my hatch loses it associativity, or just can't hatch the new boundary correctly.

Any insight for me?

Adding hatch to DB is very touchy! If you pick pt in boundary, no updating when changed; but if one selects boundary it updates. See if that helps you?

Bob Wahr

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 09:59:23 AM »
The biggest problem is the arc not maintaining it's integrity.  Thanks for the tip with the hatch though.

Kate M

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 02:04:28 PM »
I think this has been a problem with DB arcs for a while. You might try searching for some door swing blocks and see how they handle it.

Bob Wahr

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 05:17:57 PM »
Visibility states.  Hopefully won't have to go that route.