Author Topic: Recommended workstation ideal for dwg that are 2-4meg in size with Civil 3D?  (Read 1553 times)

doggarncity

Hi
   Working with a city and have been doing dwgs with Civil 3D 2008 that range in size 1-3meg. We
are experiencing really slow regens when we have contours and 4 profiles reaching a length of 1 mile.
What would be a good computer spec. to handle this work load. We are working with Dell and the specs
I thought would be good may now be short and want to plan for the future. Anybody have some insight
for the future as what processor and memory to get. I'm not worried about the hard drives as I think that
will be meet. We are running a Pent. 4 3.06 Ghz with 2 gig of memory and the regen on the above size file
is in excess of 5 min. Reminds me of the Acad 12-13 days when we drank alot of coffee. So, let's start a
horsepower discussion here. I have used the recent utils on Scale list and Reg app cleanup, Purged, Audited,
and done the usual cleanup which helped, But!

Mike
ps at home I have a hog Intel QX9650 with 4 gig 1066 DDR2 memory w/Ati FirePro 3700 256mg DDR3 and it screams, but when we are dealing with a city they are saving every dollar possible right now with good reason, but we don't want to shoot yourselves in the foot either.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Hi
   Working with a city and have been doing dwgs with Civil 3D 2008 that range in size 1-3meg. We
are experiencing really slow regens when we have contours and 4 profiles reaching a length of 1 mile.
What would be a good computer spec. to handle this work load. We are working with Dell and the specs
I thought would be good may now be short and want to plan for the future. Anybody have some insight
for the future as what processor and memory to get. I'm not worried about the hard drives as I think that
will be meet. We are running a Pent. 4 3.06 Ghz with 2 gig of memory and the regen on the above size file
is in excess of 5 min. Reminds me of the Acad 12-13 days when we drank alot of coffee. So, let's start a
horsepower discussion here. I have used the recent utils on Scale list and Reg app cleanup, Purged, Audited,

Mike
ps at home I have a hog Intel QX9650 with 4 gig 1066 DDR2 memory w/Ati FirePro 3700 256mg DDR3 and it screams, but when we are dealing with a city they are saving every dollar possible right now with good reason, but we don't want to shoot yourselves in the foot either.

The  bad news is from what I've seen the DELL solution is going to cost you more and do less than if you folks just built it yourself.  FWIW

Are you using Data shortcuts to those surfaces and alignments?  In theory this is part of the working with large data sets scheme.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

doggarncity

Hi

Mike

The  bad news is from what I've seen the DELL solution is going to cost you more and do less than if you folks just built it yourself.  FWIW

Are you using Data shortcuts to those surfaces and alignments?  In theory this is part of the working with large data sets scheme.

Hi Mike
   No, I don't know a thing about them yet, and yes, this dwg we are working on that is killing my production has a mile worth of surface and 6 alignments with 5 profiles, so how do I link to these shortcuts, as I'm afraid to say, that I am not familiar with this connection yet. 
   On Dell, I agree, but the city here won't let us do that because of IT and there formula for sucess.

Update I'm reading your thread on Data Shortcuts, and will see it that helps, Thanks

« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 10:21:12 AM by doggarncity »