Author Topic: Raster Design: Convert to Bitonal  (Read 3995 times)

M-dub

Raster Design: Convert to Bitonal
« on: November 11, 2008, 09:09:42 AM »
Wasn't sure if this should have gone in the Pixel This forum but since it's CAD related, here it is...

I have a grayscale image that I would like to convert to bitonal.  To do this, I select Image > Image Processing > Change Color Depth and choose Bitonal.  The result is quite useless, as seen in the attached images.

There must be a way to improve this.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Maybe using a different application?  They aren't going to buy anything else, though.

Thanks!

Swift

• Swamp Rat
Re: Raster Design: Convert to Bitonal
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 02:14:53 PM »
Do a search for Imagemagick and then look at the convert command.

M-dub

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 08:53:16 AM »
This is a set of stamped originals that we're scanning for our records.  I wasn't able to get exactly what I wanted from our large format scanner, so I ended up scanning two copies of each at different quality settings.  One setting results in a 75MB TIF and the other gives me a 3 - 5MB GP4.  I'm just going to be storing the TIF's on a DVD anyway.
I'm going to have our scanner maintenance guy have a look and see what he can do next time he's here.

Thanks for the suggestion, Swift.

Arizona

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 10:58:34 AM »
Another solution might be to download the trial version of Raster design to convert your images :-)

M-dub

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 11:05:35 AM »
Another solution might be to download the trial version of Raster design to convert your images :-)

Why?  Does the trial version do something that the full blown version doesn't?  ;)