Author Topic: cad standards documentation needed  (Read 22409 times)

hyposmurf

cad standards documentation needed
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2004, 06:21:11 AM »
,just dont ewnat any references to my work.That CAD standards I have is in a protected PDF document,so Im having problems with it,was going to print it out and scan,but

Artisan

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2004, 01:00:46 PM »
Could I get a copy of those standards as well? I was thinking about implementing something of this nature and I would like a good example to look at prior to trying my own.

hyposmurf

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2004, 01:56:25 PM »
Seems I mustve been in a rush when making my above post :) .Well was going to say that the document I have is in a protected PDF.I cant extract the data to a file as its encoded.Dont know what else to do than scan it to file and take out all company references.The document is about 30 pages :roll: .Anyone got any ideas?The person who has created this document is no lnger at the company.

whdjr

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2004, 03:01:42 PM »
If you have the software that created the encryption, then you should be able to decrypt it.

hyposmurf

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2004, 03:02:37 PM »
:) I wish,but the user created the PDF,dont how he encrypted it and he's now gone together with any knowledge of the passwords.

M-dub

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2004, 10:05:53 AM »
What does everyone show in their standards about Dimension Styles?  All of ours are saved in the border templates, but I'm wondering if anyone documents all dimension style settings in their standards.  If so, how do you do it?  Screenshots?  Table format? etc...

t-bear

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2004, 10:17:53 AM »
When we were setting up ResourceCAD there was some talk about creating templates for the different diciplines...it went, like, nowhere.  If you DO come up with some kind of *general rule* thing, I would appreciate very much having access to it.  I think, however, that you will find such a varied set of "standards" even within any one dicipline, that it will be difficult to agree on any one template.  At least that has been my experience.......

M-dub

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2004, 10:41:57 AM »
Quote from: T-bear
I think, however, that you will find such a varied set of "standards" even within any one dicipline, that it will be difficult to agree on any one template. At least that has been my experience.......

I think you're right.  It would likely be more of an Example rather than a Template.  If it's wording or layout that people are looking for, they can take an example and change it to suit them.

PDJ

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2004, 12:52:35 PM »
Back in the old school days when guys like T-Bear and I had kewl things like scum bags and eraser shields, I used standard dimensioning all the time and I've since carried it over to my cadd days now.  

Offset from object should ALWAYS be 1/16", extention length past line is 1/16", arrowheads, 1/8", text 1/8".  First dimension line should be 1/2" away from the object with each line after that being 3/8" on top of that..   Don't make me draw a picture, you KNOW what I mean..

Hmm, what else..  Oh yeah, back in my day, we used a 7mm pencil for the text and a 3 or 5 for the actual lines themselves. so the text would be bolder and show up better.

Now we didn't have all these fancy schmancy dimvars and setvars and higgledy piggledy settings and WE LIKED IT!!

Ohhh.. sorry, lost my train of thought..

CADaver

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2004, 01:05:32 PM »
Quote from: PDJ
Offset from object should ALWAYS be 1/16", extention length past line is 1/16", arrowheads, 1/8", text 1/8".  First dimension line should be 1/2" away from the object with each line after that being 3/8" on top of that..   Don't make me draw a picture, you KNOW what I mean..
We reduced thos settings somewhat when we went to CAD drawings, Gaps and Extensions are now 0.05, arrows and text are 0.1.  Our standards contain a complete listing of ALL System Variables and Environment Variables.

Quote from: PDJ
Hmm, what else..  Oh yeah, back in my day, we used a 7mm pencil
new-fangled toys, those 7mm mechanical pencils.  I go back (and I bet bear does, too) to sandpaper pads and lead holders with different softness of leads, HB, F, H, 2H, 6H.

t-bear

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2004, 01:21:07 PM »
new-fangled toys, those 7mm mechanical pencils. I go back (and I bet bear does, too) to sandpaper pads and lead holders with different softness of leads, HB, F, H, 2H, 6H.

Yep....been there, done that. And like Paul said, we actually enjoyed it!  In some ways, I miss the board.  I felt more like an "artist" ...now I'm a "technician". It's not quite the same.
Back then text was always the same height, width etc... and dims were always drawn the same, with the same spacing, no matter who you worked for.  I've done CAD for three different companies since the switch and all three have been different.  I think it's because there are so MANY different choices with CAD that everyone wants to experiment.  Sometimes too many choices are not that good a thing.............
Hell, I'm ramblin' again.............

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2004, 03:33:12 PM »
I belive that the best CAD standards were delivered from the days of Mylar.  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"  Right :)

As far as dim styles go I have them stored in my titleblock template (which is were I begin all drawings)  I have 1 style for each height (all done in PS) then I have 1 for each height (in model space Door tags, room names etc.)
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

M-dub

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2004, 03:45:46 PM »
Thanks folks, but how are they documented in your Drafting Standards (if you have any)...

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2004, 04:00:34 PM »
yeah that's kinda what i wanna do. i just want to have a clean dwt with only the bare essentials standard blocks, page setups, dim styles, layers. i know it won't be followed exactly because there are things that are job specific but at least it will be somewhat consistent.

M-dub

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2004, 04:05:46 PM »
Blocks?