Author Topic: New 'Standard Procedures' Document Arrangement  (Read 6502 times)

M-dub

New 'Standard Procedures' Document Arrangement
« on: January 29, 2009, 11:47:23 AM »
I'm writing a new policy on the use of our document management system and I'm having a bit of a hard time arranging it.  Some sections are quite short and others are fairly lengthy with a lot of subsections.  The problem I'm having is whether I should just simply label them in sections like 1, 2, 3, and so on or whether I should get into organizing it into subsections like 3.1.a, 3.1.b, etc.
Does anyone know if there's a guideline on how to set documents of this nature up?

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: New 'Standard Procedures' Document Arrangement
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 12:15:08 PM »
I'm writing a new policy on the use of our document management system and I'm having a bit of a hard time arranging it.  Some sections are quite short and others are fairly lengthy with a lot of subsections.  The problem I'm having is whether I should just simply label them in sections like 1, 2, 3, and so on or whether I should get into organizing it into subsections like 3.1.a, 3.1.b, etc.
Does anyone know if there's a guideline on how to set documents of this nature up?

The easier you make it to follow; the greater the chances are it will be followed.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

M-dub

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 01:32:56 PM »

The easier you make it to follow; the greater the chances are it will be followed.
Which is what broght me to this point.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 02:05:59 PM »

Which is what broght me to this point.

Well how about start with a flow chart of the typical New document>>Check In/Out procedure.
Then link each of those steps in the process to the section of the document the explains it.
I think you might add 'sub' sections as required to organise the information, into coherent chunks.

Designing a document to present information of this nature is a combination of style, and simplicity. IMHO
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

M-dub

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 02:26:36 PM »
Thanks Michael.  I think I'm just going to go through it section by section and manually set up the numbering.  I have a basic table of contents, but my goal here is to get a little more precise when referring people to specific phrases / sections of the document.

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 02:44:58 PM »
NOBODY IS GOING TO READ IT ANYWAYS!!
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

M-dub

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 02:50:27 PM »

Please don't say that, Matt.

This is kind of a CYA document.  I'll hand this out to everyone who needs it and when they ask questions that are covered in the document, I'll just ask them if they read it.

Besides, just because no one is going to read it doesn't mean it shouldn't be written.

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 02:57:16 PM »

Please don't say that, Matt.

This is kind of a CYA document.  I'll hand this out to everyone who needs it and when they ask questions that are covered in the document, I'll just ask them if they read it.

Besides, just because no one is going to read it doesn't mean it shouldn't be written.

Dork: How do you do this?
Dub: Did you read the handout?
Dork: No.  But you're here now, so how do you do this?
Dub: We have procedures in place for a reason.  Did you go to the class?
Dork: Yeah, but  I can't remember everything you went over.  How do you do this?
Dub: *sigh*
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

M-dub

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 03:18:46 PM »
Dork: How do you do this?
Dub: Did you read the handout?
Dork: No.  But you're here now, so how do you do this?
Dub: I didn't think so... Here... Let me show you... again.
Dork: Thanks man, you're awesome!  I should pay more attention to you!
Dub: whatever...

Actually, it IS there to be read and followed, but when that doesn't happen and something blows up to the point where our supervisor hears about it, he'll ask "Well, weren't you provided with standard procedures regarding this?" and at least I've achieved some degree of due diligence.

M-dub

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 03:40:42 PM »
Just a quick question:

Is 4.2.ii.a a little too much?

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2009, 03:43:55 PM »
Go for it!!
Autodesk Expert Elite