Author Topic: cad standards documentation needed  (Read 22084 times)

ELOQUINTET

cad standards documentation needed
« on: September 28, 2004, 08:14:03 AM »
i am thinking of putting a written document together concerning cad standards and am wondering if any of you have done this already and might be kind enough to upload your documents to the swamp. thanks in advance...

M-dub

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 08:23:43 AM »
I won't upload it, but I can e-mail it to you...

It's not 100% complete, but it will be enough to give you an idea.  Check your inbox soon...

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 08:26:01 AM »
mkay thanks man

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004, 09:43:54 AM »
ok just had my first blowup about this with a coworker. don't want to get into argument mode but it's sooooo frustrating

hyposmurf

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004, 11:14:06 AM »
I can do the same thing if your interested.Email you the doc we have not the argument bit.

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2004, 11:19:28 AM »
sure all comers welcome

hyposmurf

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2004, 05:29:09 PM »
Youll have to PM me your email address.

SPDCad

• Bull Frog
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2004, 10:37:10 AM »
‘eloquintet’, PM me your email address. I have a full office standards pdf file that I helped consolidate at a previous place of work.  The pdf is about 2 megs in size, so your email address has to allow for it size.

I am curious what other people have too, so I am going to pm them also.
AutoCAD 2010, w/ OpenDCL

visit: http://reachme.at/spd_designs

M-dub

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2004, 11:24:19 AM »
No offence to anyone at all, but I wish not to send our standards out to anyone else.  I hope you understand, but normally, the standards ONLY go out to contractors who will be doing CAD work for us...

Actually, when I say US, I mean, the client, as I am a contractor working for the client.  They have no resident CAD folk.

Sorry, but I hope you understand...
:oops: ;)

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2004, 08:58:51 AM »
Maybe we should start creating CAD standards here at the swamp (a template of sorts)  That can be used as a Guide?
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro
All Comments and Content by TimSpangler, Copyright © 2016

M-dub

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2004, 09:06:29 AM »
Good Idea...More of a refined collection of the topics listed in this (CAD Standards) forum.

I have seen examples on the net before...I'll look for some of them when I get some time.  Pretty busy today...

whdjr

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2004, 09:09:13 AM »
Quote from: TimSpangler
Maybe we should start creating CAD standards here at the swamp (a template of sorts) That can be used as a Guide?
I like that idea.

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2004, 09:23:00 AM »
yeah it's good to look at how others are working. i added a slew of new standards to my list after looking at yours. somethings you forget about over time and just learn to live with. thanks for the docs guys the swamp standard sounds like a good idea too  :wink:

SMadsen

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2004, 09:45:45 AM »
I could send our 56 pages CAD standard. But you wouldn't like the language it's written in :)

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2004, 10:09:24 AM »
well it might as well be dutch around here  :roll:

hyposmurf

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2004, 06:21:11 AM »
,just dont ewnat any references to my work.That CAD standards I have is in a protected PDF document,so Im having problems with it,was going to print it out and scan,but

Artisan

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2004, 01:00:46 PM »
Could I get a copy of those standards as well? I was thinking about implementing something of this nature and I would like a good example to look at prior to trying my own.

hyposmurf

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2004, 01:56:25 PM »
Seems I mustve been in a rush when making my above post :) .Well was going to say that the document I have is in a protected PDF.I cant extract the data to a file as its encoded.Dont know what else to do than scan it to file and take out all company references.The document is about 30 pages :roll: .Anyone got any ideas?The person who has created this document is no lnger at the company.

whdjr

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2004, 03:01:42 PM »
If you have the software that created the encryption, then you should be able to decrypt it.

hyposmurf

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2004, 03:02:37 PM »
:) I wish,but the user created the PDF,dont how he encrypted it and he's now gone together with any knowledge of the passwords.

M-dub

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2004, 10:05:53 AM »
What does everyone show in their standards about Dimension Styles?  All of ours are saved in the border templates, but I'm wondering if anyone documents all dimension style settings in their standards.  If so, how do you do it?  Screenshots?  Table format? etc...

t-bear

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2004, 10:17:53 AM »
When we were setting up ResourceCAD there was some talk about creating templates for the different diciplines...it went, like, nowhere.  If you DO come up with some kind of *general rule* thing, I would appreciate very much having access to it.  I think, however, that you will find such a varied set of "standards" even within any one dicipline, that it will be difficult to agree on any one template.  At least that has been my experience.......

M-dub

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2004, 10:41:57 AM »
Quote from: T-bear
I think, however, that you will find such a varied set of "standards" even within any one dicipline, that it will be difficult to agree on any one template. At least that has been my experience.......

I think you're right.  It would likely be more of an Example rather than a Template.  If it's wording or layout that people are looking for, they can take an example and change it to suit them.

PDJ

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2004, 12:52:35 PM »
Back in the old school days when guys like T-Bear and I had kewl things like scum bags and eraser shields, I used standard dimensioning all the time and I've since carried it over to my cadd days now.  

Offset from object should ALWAYS be 1/16", extention length past line is 1/16", arrowheads, 1/8", text 1/8".  First dimension line should be 1/2" away from the object with each line after that being 3/8" on top of that..   Don't make me draw a picture, you KNOW what I mean..

Hmm, what else..  Oh yeah, back in my day, we used a 7mm pencil for the text and a 3 or 5 for the actual lines themselves. so the text would be bolder and show up better.

Now we didn't have all these fancy schmancy dimvars and setvars and higgledy piggledy settings and WE LIKED IT!!

Ohhh.. sorry, lost my train of thought..

CADaver

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2004, 01:05:32 PM »
Quote from: PDJ
Offset from object should ALWAYS be 1/16", extention length past line is 1/16", arrowheads, 1/8", text 1/8".  First dimension line should be 1/2" away from the object with each line after that being 3/8" on top of that..   Don't make me draw a picture, you KNOW what I mean..
We reduced thos settings somewhat when we went to CAD drawings, Gaps and Extensions are now 0.05, arrows and text are 0.1.  Our standards contain a complete listing of ALL System Variables and Environment Variables.

Quote from: PDJ
Hmm, what else..  Oh yeah, back in my day, we used a 7mm pencil
new-fangled toys, those 7mm mechanical pencils.  I go back (and I bet bear does, too) to sandpaper pads and lead holders with different softness of leads, HB, F, H, 2H, 6H.

t-bear

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2004, 01:21:07 PM »
new-fangled toys, those 7mm mechanical pencils. I go back (and I bet bear does, too) to sandpaper pads and lead holders with different softness of leads, HB, F, H, 2H, 6H.

Yep....been there, done that. And like Paul said, we actually enjoyed it!  In some ways, I miss the board.  I felt more like an "artist" ...now I'm a "technician". It's not quite the same.
Back then text was always the same height, width etc... and dims were always drawn the same, with the same spacing, no matter who you worked for.  I've done CAD for three different companies since the switch and all three have been different.  I think it's because there are so MANY different choices with CAD that everyone wants to experiment.  Sometimes too many choices are not that good a thing.............
Hell, I'm ramblin' again.............

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2004, 03:33:12 PM »
I belive that the best CAD standards were delivered from the days of Mylar.  "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"  Right :)

As far as dim styles go I have them stored in my titleblock template (which is were I begin all drawings)  I have 1 style for each height (all done in PS) then I have 1 for each height (in model space Door tags, room names etc.)
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro

M-dub

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2004, 03:45:46 PM »
Thanks folks, but how are they documented in your Drafting Standards (if you have any)...

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2004, 04:00:34 PM »
yeah that's kinda what i wanna do. i just want to have a clean dwt with only the bare essentials standard blocks, page setups, dim styles, layers. i know it won't be followed exactly because there are things that are job specific but at least it will be somewhat consistent.

M-dub

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2004, 04:05:46 PM »
Blocks?

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2004, 04:10:47 PM »
Layers?  They come in as needed.
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro

hyposmurf

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2004, 04:15:47 PM »
Im trying to do the same thing.I have the dim style,common layers such as VPORT,TEXT,TITLE,TEXT STYLE etc set up to.Ive thought about having templates for each group of services,like small power,lighting etc but no job uses just one set,theyre all so different.Im also setting my tool palettes up.Currently I have all the blocks I need set in my tool palettes and thought great I can create a layer template drawing.I thought I could add every layer that I'm likely to use to this drawing,then assign each block in my template to its particular layer.Then I'll just insert the block I need and the layers would all be created,saving me time.Problem I have is that the same block is used on services that are on different layers :roll: .For instance a isolation valve can be on a heating layer and a cold water services layer.I might end up with tons of blocks in tool palettes,how many can AutoCAD take before it gets the grump.

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2004, 04:55:04 PM »
yeah the blocks i have are callouts titleblocks and some fasteners that's about it

hyposmurf

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2004, 05:18:47 PM »
Have you not predefined a layer in your tool palette for your fastners?Or am I assuming wrong you dont use tool palettes?

TimSpangler

• Water Moccasin
  • CAD Naked!!
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2004, 07:02:00 AM »
I still use toolbars for inserting block (it the only thing I use them for)./  THis way I can insert the same block on differant layers.  If the layer isn't in the drawing then it gets added on the insert.  I also have a layer creator that I use to create layers as needed Layer Creator Post
I am thinking about using something similar to creat dimstyles, textstyle etc.  This way everything is standard and they could be added to older drawings as well.
ACA 2015 - Windows 7 Pro

ELOQUINTET

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2004, 08:54:15 AM »
yeah don't use 2004 so no palettes here. the creator sounds cool tim keep us posted

M-dub

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2004, 09:13:02 AM »
Here's what happens at my location:
Blocks are inserted a number of ways.  Blockwerx, Toolbars, slide libraries and plain ol' DDInsert.  The blocks aren't loaded into the templates or anything like that...well, the few that make up the border (Title block, rev block, etc.)
Layers are all set up in the templates, because if they weren't, it's very likely that people wouldn't know enough to create the right ones with the proper names and other settings.  Should the layers happen to be purged out, I have a block contains a list of all standard layers and each layer name is ON that layer.  It also contains the linetypes that we commonly use here.  When the block is inserted into a purged drawing, it brings in all of the layers with it.  It's almost like a 'layer recovery' block, I suppose.
Dimension Styles are all pre-loaded in the stanard border templates as well...

my 2¢...
:)

Bob Garner

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2004, 10:26:57 AM »
Layer recovery block.  What a simple but effective solution to the layer purge issue.  One of those "why didn't I think of that?" things.

Thanx for the tip.

M-dub

« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2004, 10:33:53 AM »

CADaver

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2004, 12:57:57 PM »
Quote from: Bob Garner
Layer recovery block.  What a simple but effective solution to the layer purge issue.  One of those "why didn't I think of that?" things.

Thanx for the tip.
I use lisp functions for that.  One re-builds ALL layers to standard.  Another allows the selection of desired current layer from a pull-down, if it doesn't exist, it will create it based on client standards.

hyposmurf

« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2004, 02:57:42 PM »
How about the standards checker in 2004/5?This will check your preconfigured company standards file (.dws) against the existing drawing/s.Have any of you used it?
Developing CAD standards
drafting manual

Found reference to the following standards in a specification at work, but I cant any information on them.Thyre British standards,anyone use them?

BS EN ISO 13567-1:2002    Technical product documentation. Organization and naming of layers for CAD. Part 1 Overview and principles

BS EN ISO 13567-2:2002    Technical product documentation. Organization and naming of layers for CAD. Part 2 Concepts, format and codes used in construction documentation

cyxou

Re: cad standards documentation needed
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2009, 09:49:33 AM »
Hi guys!
Sorry for digging up this topic.....but I prefer to write in existing one rather create new.
Having working on CAD Standard for my company I'm very curious how it should be done well. Much time have passed since the last message in this topic was written, and, of cause, your cad standards changed since then.... Would anyone please send me his standard to see how it is going on in your company. I'll be very appreciated  8-)

My email is in my details

I would like to thank TimSpangler for his LayerCreator. I'm planning to use it in my Standard.
By the way, Tim, have your created the same program for Text and Dimension Styles? I would like to have it ;)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 09:54:28 AM by cyxou »

skennedy

Re: cad standards documentation needed
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2009, 01:55:49 PM »
Unfortunatley ours is under lock and key.  One suggestion is to look at more like a users guide with standards in it.  Break down useful tools and proper settings, but in an instruction book method.  I do not know if it will work for you, but that is what I used for my company and anyone from drafter to engineer can use it.  I hope this helps.

-S