Author Topic: Dwg files will not save as Read-Only in Windows Explorer???  (Read 5046 times)

Big Boi

Dwg files will not save as Read-Only in Windows Explorer???
« on: October 30, 2008, 03:31:44 PM »
Whenever I go to Windows Explorer and try to save my cad files as read-only it appears to accept it. But when I re-open the properties box of the files, it's not selected. My goal is to keep archived files from being edited, Has anyone else had this problem? What's the fix?

Big Boi

Re: Dwg files will not save as Read-Only in Windows Explorer???
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 04:50:01 PM »
I forgot to mention it's only when I'm on the server. When the files are on my hard drive I don't have any problems......

Greg B

• Seagull
  • Tell me a Joke!
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 05:00:36 PM »
Sounds like server permissions to me.

Big Boi

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 07:59:09 AM »
Yeah, that came to mind. I'll have to try it on the boss's computer and see if he is able to save them.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 01:28:55 PM »
My goal is to keep archived files from being edited, Has anyone else had this problem? What's the fix?

Yes, and what one does is actually archive the files off of the server and onto some form of external media.
Then the archived files are not available for editing by the general population, and must ask for the archive file to be restored.
This then give one the opportunity to approve or deny the editing of archived files.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Tankman

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 07:31:16 AM »
Sounds like server permissions to me.

Comments and attributes are sometimes stripped when saving documents to a server.
The same document, saved on your workstation, should show the attributes.
How do the properties read for the *.dwg file locally, before saving to the server?

This would be an IT project, "Set the server up not to strip comments and attributes."   :|

craigr

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 02:05:35 PM »
 We keep our dwgs on our server in a directory called 'Drawings' which only the CAD Coordinator, (me),  has write access to. Anyone can see & copy the files, but only I decide when to add / overwrite them.

We have been doing this way for quite a while now and it works great for us.

craigr