Author Topic: C3D 2009 - problem importing surface from Google Earth  (Read 3970 times)

FengK

C3D 2009 - problem importing surface from Google Earth
« on: October 24, 2008, 03:38:34 PM »
It seems taking forever to import a surface from Google Earth. I tried both C3D 2008 and 2009. Is it normal or is there any way to speed it up?

Thanks.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: C3D 2009 - problem importing surface from Google Earth
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 04:51:10 PM »
It all depends on the size of the area, and the complexity of the terrain.

And or how often you complain to autodesk to fix this 'issue'; well first you need to convince them that it is one.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 05:40:01 PM »
Send me the coordinates, a link or other and let me try to time the import time for that surface here.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

FengK

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 06:13:23 PM »
Had to give up after two hours of waiting. C3D was not responding any more. But C3D's memory usage isn't even that high, was only less than 400,000K. There is plenty unused memory.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 06:26:00 PM »
Send me a link to the area in question and the destination Coordinate zone.  I will run a test or two here.

Be your Best

Michael Farrell

FengK

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 07:19:02 PM »
Email sent. Thanks Michael.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 08:31:17 PM »
it ramps up to 49% rather quickly, and then it seems to start resting....however it would seem that given enough patience it will eventually get here....perhaps I will return it as XML to you.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

FengK

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 11:17:58 PM »
it ramps up to 49% rather quickly, and then it seems to start resting....
Same thing happened here. Thanks for your help!

scout

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 11:32:30 PM »
It seems taking forever to import a surface from Google Earth. I tried both C3D 2008 and 2009. Is it normal or is there any way to speed it up?

The latest version (4.3 and higher) of google earth changed the rules on how much data you could extract in a single session of google earth.

The limits are set by google.

There are two fixes:

1- Use an older version of google earth
2- Change your command settings for ImportGEData and ImportGESurface Settings to 70X70 or lower.

Once you get the max number of points per session, you'll have to close and reopen Google Earth. Its annoying as all get out, but I don't know if we will ever convince Google to release more data. If you are messing around and don't need the most accurate surfaces possible, you can set your command setting to 30X30 and at least get 3 shots before needing to restart GE.

Dinosaur

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2008, 11:45:29 PM »
Thanks for the update on that scout.  Is this for just the free version or do they have the same restriction for their paid service?

scout

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 11:49:52 PM »
Thanks for the update on that scout.  Is this for just the free version or do they have the same restriction for their paid service?

Universal restriction. I have GEPro and its the same.

scout

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 11:51:43 PM »
I forgot to confirm that the behavior you are seeing (getting to about 50% and complete hang) is how it fails.

There is not crash per se, but you have to force civil 3d to close and usually google earth as well.

The next round of templates are making these settings default. I discovered the issue in early spring since I have this habit of uninstalling and reinstalling GE like 100 times, but everyone else was on the old version. Took awhile to figure out what was up.

Dinosaur

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 11:56:43 PM »

Universal restriction. I have GEPro and its the same.
Then I am glad I declined to sent them that check.  Given that, I would think it would be worth the effort to learn how to import GIS data from one of the on-line sources (some of which are or were free the last I checked) through MAP.