Author Topic: Ashade  (Read 13304 times)

SMadsen

Ashade
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2004, 03:36:40 PM »
CADaver, the "solution" was not to a problem (or non-problem) of getting rid of an automatically created layer but to a "solution" to keep the layer from appearing in the first place. A 'prevent instead of healing' kinda thing.

The standard shortcut for rendering is RR. The standard shortcut for editing text is DD. I can't count the times when I've hit RR instead of DD. Doing that creates the ASHADE layer, the ASHADE text style and the AVE_GLOBAL/AVE_RENDER blocks instantly.

Now, I'm as "anal" about clean drawings as the next guy and will spend the time it takes to clean out that stuff. However, I don't have 250 people to manage but I can imagine my time cleaning up multiplied with 250. Woow...

So if it's company standard to deliver drawings without the stuff, I see the reason for having an automated cleanup.
I just thought a decision that avoids the stuff from appearing in the first place, namely prohibiting render of company drawings by excluding the feature from company seats, must be a natural solution to the problem/non-problem.

Ok, so the solution was kindof ironic .. but anything to keep a debate going :)

CADaver

Ashade
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2004, 04:49:32 PM »
Quote from: SMadsen
CADaver, the "solution" was not to a problem (or non-problem) of getting rid of an automatically created layer but to a "solution" to keep the layer from appearing in the first place. A 'prevent instead of healing' kinda thing.

The standard shortcut for rendering is RR. The standard shortcut for editing text is DD. I can't count the times when I've hit RR instead of DD. Doing that creates the ASHADE layer, the ASHADE text style and the AVE_GLOBAL/AVE_RENDER blocks instantly.

Now, I'm as "anal" about clean drawings as the next guy and will spend the time it takes to clean out that stuff. However, I don't have 250 people to manage but I can imagine my time cleaning up multiplied with 250. Woow...

So if it's company standard to deliver drawings without the stuff, I see the reason for having an automated cleanup.
I just thought a decision that avoids the stuff from appearing in the first place, namely prohibiting render of company drawings by excluding the feature from company seats, must be a natural solution to the problem/non-problem.

Ok, so the solution was kindof ironic .. but anything to keep a debate going :)
Blew off the standard PGP years ago, their choices never made any sense to me anyway.

If you arbitrarily decide that something needs a solution, then that one is as good as any I guess.  Just seems easier to me to decide it needs no solution.  

Then again it could be just my particular viewpoint in that I have plenty of real problems, I don't need to look for any more.  We've just hired about 40 new designers in the last 3 months boosting our count of seats to nearly 200.  Many of these guys are sharp, some aren't.  Some think they are sharper than they really are.  Some think they can run along doing it the same way they did at the last place.  Some are in the process of becoming re-educated, but old habits are hard to break.

BTW is RMAT part of the RENDER.arx?  If not you'll need to kill it as well.

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
Ashade
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2004, 11:49:53 PM »
I suppose before I retire this thread from my "required daily reading" I'll make one more comment and leave it at that.

In response to the original thread request ...

Does anyone have a lisp routine that will kill the Ashade layer?

There are some who believe this is non-issue, I have no problem with that, personally I have absolutely no feeling about whether it should be there or not... that discalimer being made ....

Code: [Select]

(defun C:KILLASHADE()
 (command "-layer" "U" "ASHADE" "")
 (command "_.erase" (ssget "x" '((8 . "ASHADE"))) "")
 (command "_.purge" "B" "AVE*" "N")
 (command "_.purge" "LA" "ASHADE" "N")
)

A simple solution to a non-problem (or is it?)
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

subbup

Ashade
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2004, 01:04:51 AM »
forgot about all these things.
if you are unable to delete some layer even objects not available in the layer I follow this.
Create some object (line) in that layer.
then use command LAYDEL . It will ask you Delete the layer or not. if you say yes It will delete the layer instantly.