Author Topic: Promoting Veritcal Applications on Bricscad  (Read 4624 times)

Arthur Gan

Promoting Veritcal Applications on Bricscad
« on: October 19, 2008, 11:06:38 PM »
May I ask if anyone know of any developer of Vertical Applications prepared to port their applications to Bricscad V9 platform?
To learn more about Bricscad, click here: www.bricsys.com

We are currently proposing to an Education Institution in Malaysia with 13 centers.
Each center is equipped with 6 labs of 21 workstations.
These centers conduct courses such as Mechanical Engineering, Automotive Engineering, Civil, Structural, Architecture, Interior Design, Landscape,Electrical Engineering, ... etc.
We believe it'll be a good investment for promoting commercial sales of the vertical applications.

Having proposed and assisted the start of the first AutoCAD Training Center here in Malaysia in 1989, we do not believe starting just CAD training centers would help us move forward.
We need to promote vertical applications for students to relate directly to their dicipline of studies.

Please let me know. Thanks!

Arthur Gan

Promoting Vertical Applications on Bricscad
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 02:40:17 PM »
I've posted this topic in CAD Forum>Vertically Challenged topic but received no reply.
Perhaps it does not get noticed there so I hope you guys do not mind I post it here too to get straight to the point of customised applications.

May I ask if anyone know of any developer of Vertical Applications prepared to port their applications to Bricscad V9 platform?
To learn more about Bricscad, click here: www.bricsys.com

We are currently proposing to an Education Institution in Malaysia with 13 centers and need an urgent reply.
Each center is equipped with 6 labs of 21 workstations.
These centers conduct courses such as Mechanical Engineering, Automotive Engineering, Civil, Structural, Architecture, Interior Design, Landscape,Electrical Engineering, ... etc.
We believe it'll be a good investment for promoting commercial sales of the vertical applications.

Having proposed and assisted the start of the first AutoCAD Training Center here in Malaysia in 1989, we do not believe starting just CAD training centers would help us move forward.
We need to promote vertical applications for students to relate directly to their dicipline of studies.

Please let me know. Thanks!

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
Re: Promoting Vertical Applications on Bricscad
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 02:44:43 PM »
I've posted this topic in CAD Forum>Vertically Challenged topic but received no reply.

Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 04:10:47 PM »
I don’t think too many of us here write “Vertical Applications”, but I am sure that those who do are keeping a close eye on the status of Bricscad’s APIs.
I have tried to compile a couple of projects for Bricscad (such as OpenDCL) and I always find a few things that are not yet implemented. They are getting very close though.
 8-)

Arthur Gan

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 09:04:12 PM »
Now we know why there was no immediate or exciting replies to this.
I thought many of the members here would be developers, using or know of some applications that could be easily and quickly ported to Bricscad (refer: http://www.bricsys.com/en_INTL/home/developers.jsp - Bricscad V9 has a full blown application development environment, allowing to port AutoCAD® based applications to Bricscad and run them with the same source code. It gives the application developer tremendous freedom and independence. No one likes to be limited by just one platform.)
ok, let's not double post, may I request the service of Din0saur to compile this topic into CAD Forums/Vertically Challenged?
Thanks!

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 09:32:57 PM »
Many of the members here do know about Bricscad and how their API’s are evolving. If you do a search on this forum for Bricscad and/or DRX, you will find add-ons and code samples for Bricscad that I and other members have written. As the Bricscad API continues to progress, more and more third party applications will be ported over. As of now some Lisp/DCL and VBA programs will run without any code change. Some ObjectARX programs will run without any code change, only a recompile is necessary. Some of the super complex programs are still a year or so away from being able to port. Both Bricscad and the ODA are doing a great job to date.....good job guys

Dan

PS, I think Matt was just kidding with you about the double posting.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 09:44:16 PM by Daniel »

Dinosaur

Re: Promoting Veritcal Applications on Bricscad
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 10:55:33 PM »
Arthur, does EaglePoint still offer the option to install on top of Bricscad?  That such a robust civil application was able to work with Bricscad speaks very well of your product's design.

Arthur Gan

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 11:05:49 PM »
Noboby could easily afford a ComputerVision but an individual could possibly afford a license of AutoCAD and work independently.
From managing a ComputerVision, I've assisted in setting up the first Autodesk ATC here in Malaysia provided CAD training, equipping our people with living skills where they earn a better living since 1989, you can see how rewarding and motivated I am now to promote Bricscad after 2 decades especially when we experience our economy crash of 1986-1988.
What does it mean to promote an alternative CAD at one-tenth the price of AutoCAD?
Would we be promoting the "CAD cavemen" of the 20th century since AutoCAD was invented in the early 80s?
Or should we accelerate ahead with vertical applications after all every license of CAD was almost purchased for a specific industry drawing?
It's been a long wait since we began introducing IntelliCAD 98 to the market here in 1997, the issues and problems encountered, and now we are beginning to see the light coming from the other end of the tunnel...
When you are in this industry for so long with so many custoemrs supporting you, you can't help but got too serious and probably need to be disciplined.. so Matt's comments are blessings in disguise, no worries..
It'll be nice to see a flood of vertical applications coming.. on Bricscad soon!

Arthur Gan

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 11:13:43 PM »
Arthur, does EaglePoint still offer the option to install on top of Bricscad?  That such a robust civil application was able to work with Bricscad speaks very well of your product's design.
we've made some sales for Eaglepoint here but they've stopped at Bricscad V7.
I've written to them yesterday and received some replies with an indication that they are planning to do so for Bricscad V9
Let's keep our fingers crossed!
Cheers!

Arthur Gan

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2008, 11:52:29 PM »
I heard Autodesk will be releasing a new version of DWG next year.
We just have to move on.. and if we move fast enough with Vertical Applications we might just beat Autodesk to its own game where they have established the market or rather the stage for us to play?
The fact is; a new DWG is not as crucial or in demand than a vertical application, in my opinion!