Author Topic: IntelliCAD VBA: is it any good?  (Read 2781 times)

havano

IntelliCAD VBA: is it any good?
« on: November 17, 2008, 05:04:01 PM »
A client I wrote some VBA-macro's for, considers migrating from Autocad to IntelliCAD-based software. It is supposed to have the look and feel of Autocad and even support VBA, at a fraction of the price. And I will probably be expected to port my VBA-macro's to IntelliCAD.

My question: does anyone have experience with IntelliCAD's VBA? Is it very different? Any pitfalls?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 05:15:57 PM by havano »

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
Re: IntelliCAD VBA: is it any good?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 01:06:35 AM »
Are you using  specific version? I.e Progecad, Bricscad?  Bricscad’s API seems to be a bit further along than others, but it’s still missing a couple of items.
FYI Intellicad will be switching to VSTA soon (a year or so), so you might check to see if any venders will be keeping VBA for the long term.

havano

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 08:38:33 AM »
Thanks Daniel,

I downloaded progeCAD for evaluation, but now I am negotiating with the IntelliPLUS people (who sell a Dutch version of IntelliCAD, which my client prefers). They even offered to review my VBA macro's, with any luck they do the porting for me.

I followed the discussion about VBA's future. Apparently, I put my money on the wrong horse...
Different VBA versions? I thought VBA was part of the IntelliCAD engine, so it should be identical for all IntelliCAD "daughters".
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 08:42:29 AM by havano »

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 11:08:37 AM »
There are a couple of companies that have splintered off, Bricscad and Zwcad. Zwcad is pretty nice, it has a great user interface, express tools etc. Bricscad’s APIs are the best as they have their own version of visual lisp (LispEx) and ARX (BRX), I haven’t goofed around with their VBA much, but I assume they are making it as close to AutoCAD as possible, I do know they support dvb projects if that helps.

I recommend trying out these two as well