Author Topic: AutoCAD DUCT Tool  (Read 11259 times)

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
Re: AutoCAD DUCT Tool
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 10:18:59 AM »
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

KewlToyZ

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2008, 08:52:43 AM »
AEC based content?

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2008, 09:29:33 AM »
Autodesk Expert Elite

KewlToyZ

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2008, 11:07:10 AM »
AEC Just seems to hog too many resources for general application on our end.
Same cat skinning, more power required....
Don't get me wrong, I've found 3D to be an asset in some cases, but more often 2D does its intended purpose.
Of course we have all of our own customizations setup with minor tweaks here and there.
We have MEP 2008 & 2009 around 90 licenses.
All of this 3D is still file based and the prints are what get approved, not the files.
If a project can pay for the added resource requirements then we would use it.
But so far, the money/time/training isn't proving worth the investment for a large firm.
Small department investment sure, but the customers don't really demand this,
they want minimal costs for the engineering still.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 11:14:36 AM by KewlToyZ »

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2008, 11:53:03 AM »
So you guys aren't riding the "BIM train" yet?  Everyone around here is all fired up about BIM and Revit.  Woo hoo!  BIM!! REVIT!!  "Um... so you guys can do BIM, right?"   Yeah... we can "do BIM" you moron.  Do you even know what its all about??!?

We do 3D coordination for tight mechanical rooms or certain areas of a building that we know are problematic.  3D is NOT the standard around here.  And as for moving to Revit for all of our 3D... maybe next year, if Revit MEP is at least half-baked.  Structure is pretty good (hell it should be, it's been around for what, 5 years now?)

<sarcastic voive> 'Can you do BIM??' </sarcastic voice>

Take this BIM and shove it up.....
Autodesk Expert Elite

KewlToyZ

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2008, 12:26:29 PM »
LMAO! Sentiments agreed.
I still haven't seen many architects manage project data structure well enough with AutoCAD,
so what can I really expect with Revit???
The thing that bothers me most is that we can't really paralell the project development with the Architect in a Revit environment.
They really have to be nearly complete for us to have enough data to bother beginning our work for their design changes. Either that, or we end up in a continuous design change cycle with improper data leading to just as much labor and progress as a normal system we already have in place.
BIM is not a gravy train, its a concept.
We can add to BIM data, but, honestly,
I haven't seen a project that was done according to the theory yet from our clients.
Of course our costs are rather high to accept working with a BIM project because the process is cost prohibitive still.
We will gladly take it into CAD, get the permits completed and let the client continue working with it, but other than that, its a cluster f*^& of data we can say is nice, but hasn't really inspired us or proven cost beneficial for our industry.
Sure the examples look nice, but to get those templates setup to work according to the clients needs would require many different template setups for many clients. As a CADD manager, it sounds great, I can work on other things, the designers can handle everything, there isn't any customizations outside the template... until we run into what it can't do.
Sure let's buy a black box the vendor can't guarantee to do what we need, troubleshoot it on live projects, patch with AutoCAD until we get to the next version and re-work our production work flow again every 6 months to compensate for it and lose valuable time with interpretation rather than concentrate on making money predictably with what we already have in place  :ugly:

I don't mean to come off as obtuse or locked into one mentality, I do like the aspects of working smarter and not harder, but so far, it still appears to be working harder than smarter. Plus all of my experienced guys, will go back
to what they know under the deadline gun on multiple fronts everytime. I still have some of the most experienced and reliable guys running AutoCAD 2007 by choice because they are used to it. And I'm not going to force them through change for the sake of the software vendors pocketbooks.

Sebb77

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2008, 03:17:43 PM »
I do think REVIT is a great product but it requires a full implementation in order to achieve good performance. Otherwise it will often mean time and money losses. Up to now i almost never seen an engineer looking at 3D models on a construction site, it is still on paper, 2D. I do have a colleague mastering Revit, and providing calculations to an engineer who yet doesn't have the courage to entirely trust all of those... Most of the drawings have to be converted to dwg for our clients anyways. I do believe BIM is the "train" of the future and will be sooner than later but there is still some work to do with the ''rails" (or the rail if it has to be a monorail  :-D)...