Author Topic: How do you create your notes and detail sheets?  (Read 15657 times)

deegeecees

Re: How do you create your notes and detail sheets?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2008, 12:42:24 PM »
My work here is all 3D, with the exception of floor plans/elevations/shop drawings. And those are generated with views of the 3D model and notation in paperspace.

Ah, but if you were DRAFTING (i.e. 2D) instead of MODELING (3D), annotating in modelspace might make a lot more sense.

I've done that too. At ComEd they use only Modelspace, basically crippling some functionality. I've pretty much seen/done most all of everything that is Cad, not just AutoCad, but the likes of ProE, SolidWorks, Unigraphics, and the trend of AutoCad has seemed to usually try to emulate those practices of the high end programs. The parametric design qualities of AutoCad are there, but they aren't as "automatic" as the higher end proggy's.

...and, I DO drafting. I use paperspace for that. Don't make me get all Cadaver on ya, now...
 :-)

Kate M

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2008, 04:37:39 PM »
Don't make me get all Cadaver on ya, now...
 :-)

No, no, anything but that! :-D

I guess what I really meant was that yes, for 3D work modelspace annotation is silly, but for 2D i think it's much more a matter of workflow/industry/personal preference.

For the work I did, which involved few if any partial plans or blowups, I much preferred having all the text in the same space as the objects. I don't like working "through" a viewport, and did enough copying around that staying out of paperspace just made sense. For a discipline like civil/roadways, though, where multiple viewports and matchlines are much more common, I could see a strong case made for paperspace annotation. Or like yours, where 2D views are generated from 3D.

We're talking about AutoCAD, anyway -- multiple cat-skinning methods are always supported and encouraged. :-)

sinc

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2008, 06:23:52 PM »
I don't use any text in modelspace. I believe this was the intentions of ADesk, to have the ability to create a model as a real world object in Modelspace, and have a means for notation to build it in Paperspace.

Then why did they create C3D labels in such a way that they only work in modelspace?

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 07:14:58 PM »
My work here is all 3D, with the exception of floor plans/elevations/shop drawings. And those are generated with views of the 3D model and notation in paperspace.

Ah, but if you were DRAFTING (i.e. 2D) instead of MODELING (3D), annotating in modelspace might make a lot more sense.

Not to me.

I do drafting and modeling, depending on the project.  Annotation in model space makes zero sense to me.  The company in the back is WELL set up in doing it, and it's terrible compared to the awesomeness of paper-space annotation, imo.

What about common annotation that will show up in different sheets and even different files?  One location only to edit.  instead of multiple Paper Spaces to edit.  I agree with Kate, different strokes for different offices.

We do 99.8% of our annotation in model space.  Which model space is our biggest question/debate since we xref a lot.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2008, 07:58:16 PM »
I've applied this simple to follow rule: If the dimension is directly related to the model, it belongs in model space.
If it is a simple text annotation, it belongs on the paper(space).
So the Detail A-A label is in paper space, however all notes, and or dimensions required to build Detail A-A are touching the model.

And the reason C3D labels are designed to work in the model space only, is probably to allow them to rotate and scale correctly within your viewports. And they are a part of the model (object) in many instances.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2008, 08:35:47 AM »
Thanks for all the replys- great discussion.

We got a bit off of what I had intended though (not that that's a bad thing!).
My question was regarding standard/typical construction details and general notes, sequence, specifications and the like and not how to annotate a model.

I do agree with Mike though that annotation relative to the model (dimensions, callouts, specific notes, etc) belongs in the model (at least with the type of work I do-civil and not 3d modeling).

What I am interested in is how everyone creates their sheets full of notes and other support info for a given project. I hope this clarifies some.

Thanks again.
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager
Wetland Studies and Solutions

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2008, 08:43:50 AM »
Thanks for all the replys- great discussion.

We got a bit off of what I had intended though (not that that's a bad thing!).
My question was regarding standard/typical construction details and general notes, sequence, specifications and the like and not how to annotate a model.

I do agree with Mike though that annotation relative to the model (dimensions, callouts, specific notes, etc) belongs in the model (at least with the type of work I do-civil and not 3d modeling).

What I am interested in is how everyone creates their sheets full of notes and other support info for a given project. I hope this clarifies some.

Thanks again.

Typically this is done by inserting the typed documents into mtext.

Or is more typically the case, those 'boiler plate' notes get used and reused by every job.  Of course no one manages to catch the stuff that doesn't belong in there until A)after the reviewer finds it, or B) after the contractor calls about some issue they have with those notes. And THEN they get edited.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

deegeecees

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2008, 09:50:36 AM »
I don't use any text in modelspace. I believe this was the intentions of ADesk, to have the ability to create a model as a real world object in Modelspace, and have a means for notation to build it in Paperspace.

Then why did they create C3D labels in such a way that they only work in modelspace?

Dunno. Never had the pleasure of using C3D.

I was just saying, the 'original' intentions BEFORE all these verticals came about, when paperspace was introduced, there was a different mindset for workflow. At least from my experience there was. But as time goes by, things do evolve and usually spin off in a direction that echo's the industries demands.

Then again, I could be totally off my rocker.

deegeecees

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2008, 09:54:28 AM »
We're talking about AutoCAD, anyway -- multiple cat-skinning methods are always supported and encouraged. :-)

I don't know how many times I've used that statement. So true.

hermanm

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2010, 12:20:33 AM »
TitleBlock/Border is in paperspace....
all else in modelspace (drawn 1:1), with scaled viewport(s) in paperspace, and printed from paperspace.
All is well-organized and labeled (on non-printable layers, of course) in modelspace for easy reference, as well.

With a variety of clients, this works best for everyone. I even occasionally detail for a fabricator who prints out TO SCALE from modelspace -- he's got someone who prints on [unspecified] extra L.A.R.G.E. media for him -- so his guys in the shop have a template for stair stringers and other miscellaneous steel items! Crazy, huh?

Wow. So much for framing square w/ stair gages.:)

----------------------

I do my 2D drawings about as Julie does. BOM & general notes go in PS as well.

Dimensions and detail annotations are in MS.

I use this product:

http://www.cadnovation.com/en/Prod/mvport/mvport.asp

to help organize & manage viewports.

For views of 3D models, annotation is in PS.

bobbym

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2010, 11:06:28 AM »
We do nothing but 2D work. Most of our parts look basically the same with different dimensions, so we work with tons of predrawn standards that are not to scale. We modify these standards on every new job and change the dimensions (not true dimensions, just lines with arrowheads inserted at each end with plain text added). Everything we do is in model space, e.g. line work, text, title block, ect. When we do draw a part that doesn't have a predrawn standard, then we will draw full size, with real dimensions, but still everything in model space.