Author Topic: One user can open a drawing, the other can't...  (Read 4256 times)

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
Re: One user can open a drawing, the other can't...
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2008, 05:01:36 PM »
I don't think so. Try doing as I suggested and go into 100-WhateverTheyWere, fire the xref manager, then double click the attachment column for the x-border xref to change it to overlay, save it, then go into problem drawing and see if xref dialog has changed...
That won't work because every drawing has the x-border attached as well as xrefs that have x-border attached.  So the only way to change it from attach to overlay (because it currently won't let me) is to detach all of the drawings that have the x-border attached, then change the remaining x-border (the ONLY x-border that should be there) from attached to overlay, then redo the layer settings.  I hate my job.   :|

I'm not sure I wrote x-border enough, so here goes.......x-border x-border x-border x-border x-border  :lol:

Still waiting for eTransmit zip if you can...
I'll fire one your way tomorrow morn.  Got to go pick up the rug-rat from daycare.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

Glenn R

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2008, 05:04:43 PM »
It doesn't matter what the attachment type is in the current drawing, you want to go into the xrefs that are attached and changed their x-border attachment type to OVERLAY to stop it coming in from more than one level deep ie nested.

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2008, 05:04:50 PM »
Like I said before - attaching an XREF ONLY brings in the MODELSPACE of said file/xref...therefore, it must be attached/Inserted in Modelspace as well (if QSELECT didn;t bring it, then it may be mested in another block - yikes), unless my tiredness is getting the better of me at the moment...can hardly think straight...
Just to confirm, I did a quick test and the attached xref came along for the ride, even though the only thing in the drawing was a line paper space, so I doubt (hope) it's nested within another block.  God help me him if it is!
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

Glenn R

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2008, 05:14:26 PM »
Big stick time if it is, but I'm just guessing from what you've told me.

I would ideally like more than one file to test if I'm going to write something to get rid of this issue, however, having said that, it might not be the cause of your opening problem...but should still be fixed.

One thing I drummed into people when I taught AutoCAD was the difference between Attach and Overlay and that I almost always prefer Overlay, except in very specific circumstances and only then, if the users knew the consequences.

Glenn R

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2008, 05:32:38 AM »
Hmmm...after doing some investigation, there doesn't appear to be a method/property/function for changing the xref's Type (Attach/Overlay)...

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2008, 07:10:37 AM »
In your XREF manager, you can change the XREF type. In the details section at the bottom of the box select type and you get the options for Overlay and Attach. The old rules apply. In order to do it for nested XREF's, you need to go to the parent dwg.
CAD Tech

Glenn R

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2008, 07:13:09 AM »
Sorry - I should have been clearer. There's no programmatic easy way to do this. Also, in the older xref dialog (not the newer palette type one), you can just double-click to attachment type for an xref and it will toggle the current setting.

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2008, 07:14:41 AM »
Sorry, I missunderstood. I should of realized that.
CAD Tech