Author Topic: One user can open a drawing, the other can't...  (Read 4258 times)

Glenn R

Re: One user can open a drawing, the other can't...
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2008, 11:51:39 AM »
I believe you can set relative paths when you pack it up...or at least I seem to remember you can.
Do that then unpack locally and give it a whirl. That way they won't look to the network if they're hard pathed.

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2008, 02:31:59 PM »
UPDATE:

I logged onto the computer as myself and experienced the same issue trying to open the drawing.

I also did the eTransmit to the file on the bad computer and was able to open it without any problems.  I didn't see any option to set relative paths so I disconnected the network drive.  One thing I did notice was that the border was ATTACHED (not overlaid) to every drawing that was referenced in.  I've never noticed this being a problem before, but...

Could the fact that the border was essentially attached 4 times be the problem?

Here's kinda what the xref tree looks like...

Plumbing Drawing
  |___Border (attached to Plumbing)
Electrical Drawing
  |___Border (attached to Electrical)
Fire Protection Drawing
  |___Border (attached to Fire Protection)
Border (attached to host drawing)

Thoughts?
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 02:37:11 PM »
have the user that can NOT do it log into the machine that can
can he now open the file?

If yes, export the ARG file.

Now go back to the 'bad' machine and import and set current the ARG file just saved in the step above.

Can he open the file now?

Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Glenn R

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 03:31:39 PM »
Matt,

Can you attach a screen shot of the TREE view from the XREF manger/dialog?

WRT the border being attached, it depends on where's it's attached. Remember that inserting an xref, ONLY brings in the ModelSpace of the drawing being attached. So, if the border is attached in a PaperSpace (a Layout) it won't matter, however, if it's in ModelSpace, it would cause older versions of AutoCAD to fail with a circular reference error - but I believe that's been fixed for a number of releases now.

Also, is there any difference between the xref demandload settings between your machine and the bad one?

Another thought, is there any 'custom mojo' being loaded that is different between yours and the bad apple?

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2008, 04:09:12 PM »
Well now I'M having problems getting into the drawing.  Not sure what's going on here.  Methinks it may be toast!  Just gonna wait it out and see if it comes to. *sigh*

The border is in Paper Space - that I know for sure.  And I didn't think that was an issue with circular refs anymore (but you never know with MEP :|).
I'm looking into the demand load settings.

Okay... took me about 5 minutes before it kicked in.  Here are two screenshots - one of the Xref Manager and one of the Image Manager.
Autodesk Expert Elite

Glenn R

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2008, 04:14:38 PM »
Hmmm...an image of the same name...

I would double check that you're border (x-border) is in paperspace ONLY, as that Xref Manager screenshot says otherwise...at least to me it does...

Can you zip up and attach a file here so I can test...?

Glenn R

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2008, 04:30:14 PM »
As an aside, I would go into:

100-PWR
100-PLB

and in the xref manager, change the attachment type to OVERLAY as the dialog suggests to me that they're ATTACHED, which means they come through as a NESTED xref into your current DWG.

This would also stop the apparent x-border image being resolved multiple times...

Post the eTransmit file and we'll see what we can see...

Also, I would suggest not trying the export/import thingy of the Acad profile just yet...tthis would be a last resort for me...

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2008, 04:39:47 PM »
As an aside, I would go into:

100-PWR
100-PLB

and in the xref manager, change the attachment type to OVERLAY as the dialog suggests to me that they're ATTACHED, which means they come through as a NESTED xref into your current DWG.
Funny... Really funny!  Apparently the mental midget that set up this project has the x-border drawing ATTACHED to EVERY SINGLE FLIPPIN' DRAWING.  The only way (that I know of) to change it from attach to overlay would be to detach all of the xrefs that have the x-border attached, then change the x-border (within the host drawing) to overlay, then re-attach the xrefs.  But doing so will result in the loss of layer (on/off/freeze/thaw) settings that may have been changed.  Unless there's some magical way of automating this process.  *sigh*
Autodesk Expert Elite

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2008, 04:44:44 PM »
should be able to save a layer state and restore it later...
should the path/name change you can export those LAS files and then do a find/replace to swap out the file names
then import and restore the layer states.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2008, 04:46:19 PM »
should be able to save a layer state and restore it later...
should the path/name change you can export those LAS files and then do a find/replace to swap out the file names
then import and restore the layer states.
Yeah, I know but...  Ya got a fast way of doing that to 121 files within 5 folders?
Autodesk Expert Elite

Glenn R

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2008, 04:53:19 PM »
Thinking...

Glenn R

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2008, 04:54:02 PM »
BTW, the mental pigmy must have attached it into MODELSPACE as well...

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2008, 04:56:40 PM »
Not that I can tell.  I tried QSELECT and came up with nothing in MS, but I got a result in PS.  Hmmmm.....
Autodesk Expert Elite

Glenn R

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2008, 04:57:18 PM »
The only way (that I know of) to change it from attach to overlay would be to detach all of the xrefs that have the x-border attached, then change the x-border (within the host drawing) to overlay, then re-attach the xrefs.

I don't think so. Try doing as I suggested and go into 100-WhateverTheyWere, fire the xref manager, then double click the attachment column for the x-border xref to change it to overlay, save it, then go into problem drawing and see if xref dialog has changed...

Still waiting for eTransmit zip if you can...

Glenn R

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2008, 05:00:33 PM »
Not that I can tell.  I tried QSELECT and came up with nothing in MS, but I got a result in PS.  Hmmmm.....

Like I said before - attaching an XREF ONLY brings in the MODELSPACE of said file/xref...therefore, it must be attached/Inserted in Modelspace as well (if QSELECT didn;t bring it, then it may be mested in another block - yikes), unless my tiredness is getting the better of me at the moment...can hardly think straight...