Author Topic: Test for 32 vs 64 bit  (Read 17736 times)

hermanm

Re: Test for 32 vs 64 bit
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2010, 11:11:39 PM »
Speaking of ...

I gotta buy a new CADD machine (just resigned from my job / venturing out on my own) ... should I go 32/64?

Before you answer, I frequently process drawings that are produced by, or reference, (third party) verticals, like AutoPlant, MultiSuite etc. Are there a lot of issues with object enablers going the 64 bit route?

Sage advice welcome, I'm a O/S & hardware moron.

Don't know anything about MultiSuite, but ProStructures (formerly a.k.a. AutoPlant Structural) is now available as 64 bit.
Ass-u-me 64 bit OE is available.
If you can't find it on Bentley.com, drop your regional engineer a line..
I am on 32 bit, so no personal experience.

JohnK

• Administrator
  • Seagull
Re: Test for 32 vs 64 bit
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2010, 11:29:37 AM »
I haven't the foggiest idea about Object Enabler(s) however;

Intel Core i7 2.8ghz
8 gb ram
Windows 7 x64 OS

I have AutoCAD MEP 08 (08 is only 32 bit) installed and working just fine. I had to tweak the ACAD.MSI with ORCA [ http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa370557%28VS.85%29.aspx ] a bit to get ACAD to install but after that the tweaking was very minimal. This leads me to my opinion on the situation; If you are purchasing a new PC then i don't feel you will have a problem because IMO win7 seems to handle the "older stuff" very well (I just installed Visual Basic 5.0 for maintenance i need to do on some old crappy app) and windows didn't even blink an eye.

I think you'll be fine with x64.
TheSwamp.org (serving the CAD community since 2003)
Member location map - Add yourself

Donate to TheSwamp.org