Author Topic: Access SSM with other languages?  (Read 5155 times)

FengK

Access SSM with other languages?
« on: September 08, 2008, 06:01:54 AM »
Hello,

I'm guessing the answer is no (from what I've seen through Googling), but I'll ask anyway. Would it be possible to access Sheet Set Manager (SSM) API with languages other than VBA and .NET languages? For example, say Python? Has anyone tried?

Thanks,

Kelie

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
Re: Access SSM with other languages?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 09:52:22 AM »
I would seem if a COM aware language like VBA can access it, other COM aware languages such as V Lisp or Python should be able to also.

Dan

FengK

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 06:59:11 PM »
Daniel,

Thanks for your input. I first tried to see if I can access SSM from Microsoft Word VBA. I added a reference to the AcSmComponents17 1.0 Type Library (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\AcSmComponents17.tlb)

Then with the following:

Public Sub TEST_SSM()
    Dim ssm As AcSmSheetSetMgr
    Set ssm = New AcSmSheetSetMgr
End Sub

Public Sub TEST_SSM2()
    Dim ssm As ACSMCOMPONENTS17Lib.AcSmSheetSetMgr
    Set ssm = new ACSMCOMPONENTS17Lib.AcSmSheetSetMgr
End Sub

I got this error: Automation error: The specified module could not be found.

Btw The code runs fine from within AutoCAD VBA.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 10:34:30 PM »
PM me and let me know what cool function you are thinking about here will ya?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

FengK

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 03:47:27 AM »
Michael,

I don't really have anything specific about SSM in my mind atm. A couple of years ago when I was working on a pretty large-size project, I cranked out some VBA codes for using SSM. But there were a lot of hard coded stuff specific to that project, so those codes are not generic enough to be used on other projects. I was thinking of trying my best to polish them a little (btw I'm not good at VBA at all), but was also wondering if I could do those in Python.

Compared with dynamic blocks, SSM seems to be of less interests to AutoCAD users. Just my impression.

Thanks,

Kelie

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 10:32:13 AM »
I think you are right there.  I would suspect that would be due to the nature of most users plotting habits.
OK, maybe it isn't entirely their fault. Perhaps it is a result of being conditioned, by years of non cad users
asking them to plot this or that, in ones and twos. That unless they have been on the back end of a large
project, that extends towards say 80+ sheets, most users do not get into the heavy lifting that SSM (formerly)
batch plot , and his weeker brother Publish can do for you. They see and touch the DB's everyday.
Probably an interesting tool would be an interface that lets users add sheets to the set from explorer.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Spike Wilbury

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 10:37:10 AM »
SSM seems to be of less interests to AutoCAD users. Just my impression.

Hola Kelie,

I am a user of the SSM since A2005, to me it is the best feature, they introduce to AutoCAD.... - never had the chance or need to code for it, BtW :)

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 01:07:16 PM »
It may not be possible, I read somewhere that the interface does not support IDispatch, something necessary for languages like vlisp 

FengK

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2008, 01:20:14 PM »
Daniel, Thanks for the confirmation.

rogue

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 03:29:16 PM »
>>I got this error: Automation error: The specified module could not be found.
>>Btw The code runs fine from within AutoCAD VBA.

This Ive heard (read?) many times, that Sheet set code seems to run fine In Process, but not out of process.
But I couldnt tell you why everyone else seems to be having the same problem (Ive never tried out of process)

>>Compared with dynamic blocks, SSM seems to be of less interests to AutoCAD users. Just my impression.
Might also be because the API seems pretty 'non-VBish', and the documentation is pretty much non existent.

Ive always had a desire to code for it, but the amount of time it seems you'll have to invest to get anything useful back has always scared me off. Ive got code snippets from others, and some small, starter  stuff of my own.

FengK

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 03:46:15 AM »
I am a user of the SSM since A2005, to me it is the best feature, they introduce to AutoCAD.... - never had the chance or need to code for it, BtW :)

Thanks Luis. Can I ask what was the biggest project (sheet count wise) you worked on using SSM? My personal experience of having to edit custom properties (CP's) for 600+ sheets wasn't very enjoyable, and that was the motivation for me then to scramble some VBA code which allowed me to export those CP's to Excel and import back after being edited. Some members here must have worked on projects of much larger size than that. I wonder how was their experience of using SSM, if they had used this feature.

A search in this forum showed Murph has posted quite some VBA codes related to SSM in this thread. Just need time to wade through them. Don't know when.

Spike Wilbury

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 10:25:47 AM »

Thanks Luis. Can I ask what was the biggest project (sheet count wise) you worked on using SSM? My personal experience of having to edit custom properties (CP's) for 600+ sheets wasn't very enjoyable, and that was the motivation for me then to scramble some VBA code which allowed me to export those CP's to Excel and import back after being edited. Some members here must have worked on projects of much larger size than that. I wonder how was their experience of using SSM, if they had used this feature.

A search in this forum showed Murph has posted quite some VBA codes related to SSM in this thread. Just need time to wade through them. Don't know when.

Hi Kelie,

120 and many of the other ones up to 60 sheets - here in this office they use a2002 - so you tell me.... :).

BTW, Jimmy B. (JTB World) is the only one I know that have come up with something new (as plug-in) for the SSM