Author Topic: Anybody use an application to store/organise their code snippets?  (Read 31261 times)

mcarson

Anybody use an application to store/organise their code snippets?
« on: September 01, 2008, 03:02:31 PM »
I used to code using VBA in Microsoft Office applications. The main issue I had was remembering what document I created that 'wonder' function! Or what Access database contained that useful class.
At the time I googl'd 'code library' and after filtering the results found:

http://s630417.myweb.hinet.net/

Been using it ever since!

Just my 2 cents!

Glenn R

Re: Anybody use an application to store/organise their code snippets?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 03:41:11 PM »
Pass.

vegbruiser

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 04:56:49 AM »
I would only use an app like that if it were free. That one is not. (once the evaluation period has ended)

Kerry

• Mesozoic relic
  • Seagull
  • class keyThumper<T>:ILazy<T>
kdub, kdub_nz in other timelines.
Perfection is not optional.
Everything will work just as you expect it to, unless your expectations are incorrect.
Discipline: None at all.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 08:34:15 AM »
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Glenn R

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 08:50:33 AM »
Mark,

From one of your posts in that thread, you mention a USB stick. I'm assuming, that you have a 'repository' (shed-load of folders and files) on the USB and let's say, the tortoise client running on Work box.

You then check out file/project to work on on work box and the work box client sucks the relevant files over to work box folder. You then do the mojo that you do, then 'commit' these back to your USB sticky...correct?

I've got code all over the place and need to start using something like this, between a work box and home laptop...so I might be pestering you with a few questions if you don't mind...

Cheers,
Glenn.

Glenn R

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 08:54:58 AM »
...or is there a svn server involved somewhere and not what I first though, which was it just managed file metadata...?

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 09:05:13 AM »
Mark,

From one of your posts in that thread, you mention a USB stick. I'm assuming, that you have a 'repository' (shed-load of folders and files) on the USB and let's say, the tortoise client running on Work box.

You then check out file/project to work on on work box and the work box client sucks the relevant files over to work box folder. You then do the mojo that you do, then 'commit' these back to your USB sticky...correct?
Correct. Although I use the this server as a repository not a USB stick.

I've got code all over the place and need to start using something like this, between a work box and home laptop...so I might be pestering you with a few questions if you don't mind...

Bring 'em on! If you want your very own repository on this server just give me a shout. You can set them as private if you like so know one can read or write to it. We can also back it up on a daily basis and send it to you as a single file.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 09:07:15 AM »
...or is there a svn server involved somewhere and not what I first though, which was it just managed file metadata...?

Not sure I understand the question Glenn.

Glenn R

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 09:09:38 AM »
So, do you need to set up an SVN server for this all to automagically work, or is a master fodler structure and the client software enough?

Glenn R

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 09:10:55 AM »
So you had a repository on a usb stick that you stored documents on, but then went to full server installation...is that right Mark?

Glenn R

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 09:11:15 AM »
Still reading....

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2008, 09:16:32 AM »
So, do you need to set up an SVN server for this all to automagically work, or is a master fodler structure and the client software enough?

You have to have the server.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 09:17:32 AM »
So you had a repository on a usb stick that you stored documents on, but then went to full server installation...is that right Mark?

Correct.

Chuck Gabriel

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 09:28:23 AM »

You have to have the server.

I don't have a server running anywhere.  I just installed TortoiseSVN and created a repository on my USB stick like what Glenn is describing.  I think maybe it was Tim Riley or Troy who pointed out that it could be done that way.  It works fine for me.