Author Topic: Viewports  (Read 7024 times)

Alan Cullen

Viewports
« on: August 27, 2008, 07:02:47 PM »
I'll ask this in the hope that I get a quick answer. We all know what acad help is like....i've spent the last 10 minutes trying to find the answer there.

Is it possible to convert a rectangular viewport to a polygonal viewport? If so, how?

Thanks in advance.

I'm just in a lazy mood today, and don't feel like drawing a polygonal viewport to replace a rectangular viewport and setting it all up.  :evil:

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
Re: Viewports
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 07:36:19 PM »
Off the top of my head, I would say no.  A lisp could be written to do it I'm sure, but with standard Acad I don't know of a way.
Tim

I don't want to ' end-up ', I want to ' become '. - Me

Please think about donating if this post helped you.

Alan Cullen

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 08:09:37 PM »
That's what I was afraid of. Thanks anyway Tim.

I just had a bit of a play around with it, and noticed if you draw a polygonal viewport, you actually end up with two entities, one is an LWPolyline and one is a viewport. Somehow acad must tie them together so you can edit the viewport as you would a polyline.

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 08:18:30 AM »
I'll ask this in the hope that I get a quick answer. We all know what acad help is like....i've spent the last 10 minutes trying to find the answer there.

Is it possible to convert a rectangular viewport to a polygonal viewport? If so, how?

Thanks in advance.

I'm just in a lazy mood today, and don't feel like drawing a polygonal viewport to replace a rectangular viewport and setting it all up.  :evil:

*blows whistle*  TIME OUT!!  You don't need LSP to do this.

All you have to do is create a pline in the shape of the viewport you want, then click on the existing viewport, right-click, select CLIP VIEWPORT then select the pline you just drew.  The new polygonal viewport will maintain the same layer settings.

Pretty simple...unless I'm missing something.   :?
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 08:55:08 AM »

All you have to do is create a pline in the shape of the viewport you want, then click on the existing viewport, right-click, select CLIP VIEWPORT then select the pline you just drew.  The new polygonal viewport will maintain the same layer settings.

This is how I would do it.... :)
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager
Wetland Studies and Solutions

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

Alan Cullen

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 08:58:22 AM »
Matt...just in anticipation.......I really love you, you horrible little man. I will try this out tomorrow when I get to work. If it does indeed work.....I will dress up in all that scary stuff that the metros wear, and maybe sweat on you a little bit. But please don't hold your breath.

Thanks a ton, mate.  :-D :-D 8-)

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 09:02:09 AM »
Matt...just in anticipation.......I really love you, you horrible little man. I will try this out tomorrow when I get to work. If it does indeed work.....I will dress up in all that scary stuff that the metros wear, and maybe sweat on you a little bit. But please don't hold your breath.

Thanks a ton, mate.  :-D :-D 8-)

Gonna go clubbin' with TJR?
Autodesk Expert Elite

Alan Cullen

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 09:02:57 AM »
Yo, Cary......good to see you about and active as normal. Miss our normal banter....but whatever !!! Say g'day to the rest of the troops, please.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 09:12:17 AM by Alan Cullen »

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 09:05:52 AM »
Yo, Gary......good to see you about and active as normal. Miss our normal banter....but whatever !!! Say g'day to the rest of the troops, please.

Hey Alan, that's why I'm here - missed you on the other one...  :)
Will do.
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 09:06:57 AM »
Yo, Gary......good to see you about and active as normal. Miss our normal banter....but whatever !!! Say g'day to the rest of the troops, please.

...By the way - no "G" in Cary...
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

Alan Cullen

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 09:07:01 AM »

Que? what are you possibly referring to? I wear stubbies and a t-shirt...defo not anything suspect...I think.

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 09:08:37 AM »

Que? what are you possibly referring to? I wear stubbies and a t-shirt...defo not anything suspect...I think.

...not sure I want to know...  :?
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

Alan Cullen

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 09:10:28 AM »

Disregard me, mate.......well it is half past 6 winoclock......

I know that.......hehehe...and G is not even close to C...well a little bit......  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

CHulse

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 09:25:05 AM »

Disregard me, mate.......well it is half past 6 winoclock......

I know that.......hehehe...and G is not even close to C...well a little bit......  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

it's all good  :pissed: :lmao: :lmao:
Cary Hulse
Urban Forestry Manager

Civil 3D 2020 & 2023

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 11:27:55 AM »

Thanks in advance.

I have my right click as enter.  So my question is what command does this run?  Or can you not get to this option unless you right click on the viewport?  I will see if I can find anything in the help files.  Nice tip Matt.
Tim

Matt__W

• Seagull
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2008, 12:02:05 PM »

Thanks in advance.

...my question is what command does this run?

VPCLIP   :kewl:
Autodesk Expert Elite

T.Willey

• Needs a day job
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2008, 12:42:11 PM »

Thanks in advance.

...my question is what command does this run?

VPCLIP   :kewl:
Nice.... thanks!
Tim