Author Topic: AutoCAD: Creating a UI using WPF – August 26th, 2008  (Read 5512 times)

Paul Richardson

AutoCAD: Creating a UI using WPF – August 26th, 2008
« on: August 22, 2008, 06:06:49 AM »
fyi...

This class is open to everyone, and is free of charge.  If you are interested in picking up tips and tricks, or are new to customizing with AutoCAD, then you should sign up to attend.  Click http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?id=10417086&siteID=123112&cname=AutoCAD:%20Creating%20a%20UI%20using%20WPF,%20Webcast,%20Aug%2026%202008,%203050 to register.

Glenn R

Re: AutoCAD: Creating a UI using WPF – August 26th, 2008
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 06:11:25 AM »
The last one I watched, I found the presenter very hard to understand because of the way he spoke - I believe he might have been Indian or Pakistani (or somewhere from around that region) and his accent and cadences were hard to decipher. This was disappointing, as it was about Ribbons, taks dialogs and tooltips.

Paul Richardson

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 06:20:55 AM »
The last one I watched, I found the presenter very hard to understand because of the way he spoke - I believe he might have been Indian or Pakistani (or somewhere from around that region) and his accent and cadences were hard to decipher. This was disappointing, as it was about Ribbons, taks dialogs and tooltips.

Most are hard to understand but I've gotten used to them for the most part. It's probably better to just view the video at one's own pace. I like to watch the live version so I can record it with Camtasia which gives a much better video than the tool they use.

vegbruiser

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 06:38:25 AM »
...with Camtasia which gives a much better video than the tool they use.
Yeah, the videos I've seen leave a lot to be desired quality-wise.

Spike Wilbury

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 09:38:07 AM »

Same impression.... (Brep class)

mohnston

• Bull Frog
  • CAD Programmer
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 05:45:07 PM »
I have attended two now and both had the same problem.
I made sure to note the problem during the evaluation at the end.

I found it nearly impossible to follow along. Even though it was free I actually felt cheated since I was keenly interested in the topics being discussed. After all I did invest my time.

These webcasts have such a potential for helping! It is disappointing to miss out because of an accent.

It's amazing what you can do when you don't know what you can't do.
CAD Programming Solutions

Glenn R

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 04:39:14 PM »
Has anybody tossed Kean a link to this thread yet? I think he would welcome the feedback, as I agree, this is a great initiative and potential learning experience by Autodesk.

mohnston

• Bull Frog
  • CAD Programmer
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 09:54:04 PM »
Has anybody tossed Kean a link to this thread yet? I think he would welcome the feedback, as I agree, this is a great initiative and potential learning experience by Autodesk.
Yes, I sent him a note and a link.
It's amazing what you can do when you don't know what you can't do.
CAD Programming Solutions

Kean

• Newt
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 05:50:08 AM »
Looks like a good time for me to step in and comment...

Thanks for the feedback - just as Glenn and Mark have suggested, I do indeed welcome it.

A couple of comments on how my team is set up, which may help understand this situation.

My team (DevTech) is made up of roughly 30 engineers, covering all Autodesk's platforms - whether serving General Design, AEC, Manufacturing, Geospatial or Media & Entertainment industries - and spread around the globe. We maintain a strongly distributed organisation mainly to provide local services - API evangelism, training & mentoring - while team members also take part in more "global" activities (such as API support, delivery of webcasts and creation of DevTV content). We believe that everyone in the team should take part in both sets of activities, as they help people grow both sets of skills needed to be a strong DevTech Engineer ("soft" skills, such as presentation and communication skills, and "hard" skills, such as deep technical know-how).

So our skills are spread across products and around the world, and while we have a number of "native" English speakers, we also have a number of people who have learned English later in life (or live in a place where - even if English is their first language - it is spoken with "an accent"). My belief is that everyone in my team should be involved in our various activities - assuming their English skills meet a baseline requirement -
and over time individuals will improve their capacity to be understood internationally, as they engage more and receive more feedback on how to improve.

One option would be for us to only have our British and American employees deliver training, but that's not one I'm keen on (diversity of roles is also good for my team, whether to help build skills or to keep them from the monotony of providing support - or of providing training - all day, every day). We also have a global customer-base, and while we mostly use English as our language of communication, people around the world do speak English in different ways.

That said, I'm very interested in looking for ways to help people overcome situations where they have difficulty understanding a particular presenter (whether it's someone from the UK understanding a presenter from India or someone from China understanding a presenter from the US). Recordings do help - as you've mentioned - although it's also been noted correctly that the quality of the recording provided automatically by LiveMeeting could be better. One other idea would be to provide transcripts of the presentation along with the demo material, so people can read sections of text they've had trouble with. I haven't checked on what would be involved, but I believe most of our presenters generate scripts to help with their preparation/delivery.

If you have other suggestions, please do let me know (I'm not a regular visitor here, I'm afraid, so the best would be if you could drop me an email at kean.walmsley@autodesk.com).

Thanks & regards,

Kean

It's Alive!

• Retired
  • Needs a day job
  • AKA Daniel
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 08:56:21 AM »

... I'm not a regular visitor here, I'm afraid...

Don’t be afraid, you are very welcome here.  :-D
Seriously though, we really appreciate the work your team is doing!

Glenn R

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 09:00:19 AM »
^^^^ Ditto.