Author Topic: Creating 3D Fence Diagrams  (Read 16410 times)

mt_philly

Creating 3D Fence Diagrams
« on: August 21, 2008, 08:02:19 AM »
I am trying to create 3D fence diagrams for approximately 30 soil borings (similiar to the one attached).  I have created surfaces for each startum in Surfer, exported them into CAD (LDD 2007 - have access to Civil 3D, but between me dragging my feet and 3D crashes, I am behind the curve on that), and created/superimposed profiles.  So I have 2D diagrams showing strata for each row of borings.  Is there a way I can create 3D versions?  I have been racking my brain and searching the inet, but have come up with nada (unless, of course, I could convince the powers that be to purchase WinFence or the like, which ain't gonna happen).

Also, I need to to calc volumes for each stratum.  Easy enough was my first thought...top soil stratum with existing ground as my lid surface should give me the volume of top soil, but this is not a closed basin (as with a pond - top elevation of the pond is the same as the lid elevation), so is running the volume calc like this going to give me a bogus number?

Thank you so much for any help! :|

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
Re: Creating 3D Fence Diagrams
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 08:43:08 AM »
Also, I need to to calc volumes for each stratum.  Easy enough was my first thought...top soil stratum with existing ground as my lid surface should give me the volume of top soil, but this is not a closed basin (as with a pond - top elevation of the pond is the same as the lid elevation), so is running the volume calc like this going to give me a bogus number?

I don't think so, unless I'm missing something.
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 08:50:54 AM »

Obviously the more borings you have, the more accurate the numbers will be.  You may have a high/low spot where you don't have boring information which in turn would throw off the numbers.... might not be drastic, but it's certainly something to keep in mind.

As for running the calcs, Civil 3D can do that fairly easily (at least from what I've seen in the tutorials I've done - haven't had a "real-world" experience with it --- yet!).  Just wait a few hours and Mr. Farrell will show up and probably give you a step-by-step (Oooh, baby! - What song was that from??!?)... But I digress... He'll probably give you a run-down of the steps needed to complete this process.
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

mt_philly

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 09:04:22 AM »

Yeah, volume calcs should be ok - same as existing ground vs design ground.  I'm it for CAD except for a few who dabble (scary thought) in my co., so the forums are my sounding board...my way of talking thru things...

Obviously the more borings you have, the more accurate the numbers will be.  You may have a high/low spot where you don't have boring information which in turn would throw off the numbers.... might not be drastic, but it's certainly something to keep in mind.

True, true...this is a known variable and all volumes are considered approximate.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 09:09:57 AM by mt_philly »

Swift

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 09:14:01 AM »
Quick solution, you have a x,y,z for the surface at every hole. Use the depth to create a point at each point of interest. You can then use the points to create profiles and use the points to create surfaces to calculate volumes. If you will load your data into excel, you can do this real quick.

You can also connect the points up with 3d polylines to create a picture like you sample. Fill the area between the polylines with 3dfaces and attach some materials, then render it.

Accuracy will depend on the spacing and location of the boreholes.

Mark

• Custom Title
  • Seagull
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 09:17:24 AM »
If you will load your data into excel, you can do this real quick.

Good idea Swift!
TheSwamp.org  (serving the CAD community since 2003)

mt_philly

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 10:17:33 AM »
Quick solution, you have a x,y,z for the surface at every hole. Use the depth to create a point at each point of interest. You can then use the points to create profiles and use the points to create surfaces to calculate volumes. If you will load your data into excel, you can do this real quick.

You can also connect the points up with 3d polylines to create a picture like you sample. Fill the area between the polylines with 3dfaces and attach some materials, then render it.

Accuracy will depend on the spacing and location of the boreholes.

Cool, cool!! That's what I needed...already have the points in excel for Surfer.  Working w/ 3D faces and rendering is new for me, so may be back with more ??s.

Can't thank you enough!!!

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 10:26:33 AM »
What you want is my tutorial on XDRES in Civil 3D so that you can create the strata model in C3D and leave Surfer alone.

I working on a grading project at the moment or I would process that data for you.
You will need an access MDB file whose keyfield is PNOID  (point number ID)
Then you will create an XDREF for each boring log and a point group for same.
These in turn are added to each surface stratum. You can then do volume calcs and cross sections through your surfaces.

You can go to www.primeservicesglobal.com and download the XDREF tutorial on the tutorials page and you will be done in about 20 minutes after watching the video. Enjoy!

Thanks for your endorsement Matt! 

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 12:11:27 PM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Swift

• Swamp Rat
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 10:39:13 AM »
You don't really even have to set materials, if solid colors is good enough. Here is a quick sample

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 10:42:45 AM by Mark Thomas »

mt_philly

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 11:06:32 AM »
You guys are awesome!  I'll let you know how it goes...

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 12:06:00 PM »
You can go to www.primeserviceglobal.com and download the XDREF tutorial on the tutorials page and you will be done in about 20 minutes after watching the video. Enjoy!
If you are going to link to your page, you may want to use the correct link.....isn't it "...serviceS....."? :-)

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 12:09:34 PM »
You can go to www.primeserviceglobal.com and download the XDREF tutorial on the tutorials page and you will be done in about 20 minutes after watching the video. Enjoy!
If you are going to link to your page, you may want to use the correct link.....isn't it "...serviceS....."? :-)

Yes, yes it is...excuse the typo, it was/is early on the Island...why will it not allow me edit that link?  anyone?

Nevermind.....geeze I got up too early to do anything Except do grading correctly today it would seem  :lol:
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 12:12:50 PM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2008, 12:11:06 PM »
Thanks for your endorsement Matt! 

^^^
See??  I told you he'd probably stop by!   :wink:
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

mt_philly

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2008, 06:16:14 PM »
Fought with it several times in C3D 2008 with the same result...each time I created a new point group for each stratum, the previous groups were over-written with the new elevation and desc.  Closed out and opened C3D 2007...all looks good so far!  Must make sure IT has updated all patches.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2008, 07:08:55 PM »
Fought with it several times in C3D 2008 with the same result...each time I created a new point group for each stratum, the previous groups were over-written with the new elevation and desc.  Closed out and opened C3D 2007...all looks good so far!  Must make sure IT has updated all patches.

And the sad news on this experiment is that I was in communication with autodesk product development team with this, and end the end they claimed the problem did NOT exist.

Happy to be of assistance however.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell