Author Topic: Botched render  (Read 3459 times)

fairmount

Botched render
« on: August 12, 2008, 12:41:53 AM »
Hello fellows. Recently, something went wrong with my drawing. I'll post a picture so that you can see for yourselves:

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg209/Fairmount47/problem.jpg

As you can see, things aren't as they should be. I have no idea as to the origin of this problem, suddenly it just appeared. Does anyone know about a possible solution?

Thanks guys, I hope you can help a poor noob caddie.

MickD

• King Gator
  • (x-in)->[process]->(y-out) ... simples!
Re: Botched render
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 04:02:14 AM »
My first thought is that your video card isn't up to the task. What are you running?

This is more of a guess than an answer, when rendering with app's like autocad, to be more efficient (ie. faster) they can bypass the usual rendering api and pass it on to a more native (to the video card that is) rendering api such as OpenGL or DirectX.

It all depends on how the graphic primitives are sent to the api also, most CADD programs are not designed with rendering as a first priority, they are more interactive, that's why it's a lot faster to work in wireframe than a shaded mode. Rendering takes it another step again and uses many more resources.

Ask a friend with a good set up if they can render it for you and see how it goes, others with more experience may have a few tips/clues in how to optimise your rendering also.
 Welcome aboard!
cheers,
Mick.
"Programming is really just the mundane aspect of expressing a solution to a problem."
- John Carmack

"Short cuts make long delays,' argued Pippin.”
- J.R.R. Tolkien

jnieman

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 08:29:25 AM »
Just to clarify, so the word 'render' doesn't confuse me... that's a display of a visual style, correct?  A screen shot, not a rendered image file?

If so, video card controls graphical displays which are created using the 'render' command.  The render command afaik doesn't involve the video card.

However the visual styles do, and Autocad really sucks at being able to display models decently with visual styles on most common or even upper-end cards.  There are basically two types of cards that will handle the task, and I read somewhere that it's narrowed down to just nVidia being certified graphics cards but I'm not sure I can trust that.

I don't know what is so different about Autocad's models that make it so difficult to show on-screen decently when so many other programs can handle it with grace.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 11:57:32 AM »
Perhaps the user should post a portion of this file here, or at the Lilly Pad so that some others of us can attempt to reproduce said rendering error?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Matt__W

• Seagull
  • I like my water diluted.
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 12:16:19 PM »
...others of us can attempt to reproduce said rendering error?
Nah... I've got enough problems of my own without recreating someone else's errors!   :lol:
Autodesk Expert Elite
Revit Subject Matter Expert (SME)
Owner/FAA sUAS Pilot @ http://skyviz.io

fairmount

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 07:33:03 PM »
Sorry, I don't think my first post was an accurate description of the problem. It's not only when rendering, the model looks like this all the time. It started after using the render command however.

My video card is some sort of crappy built in one, in my laptop, but I do think its an nvidia card.

As for posting part of the file here, could you please explain how to? Sorry, I'm new to this whole online help thingo.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 12:30:29 AM »
When you REPLY to this in the lower Left corner you will see Addition Options, with Plus sign, click there and you can then attach your file.

See image attached...
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

jnieman

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 09:03:36 AM »
One thing that may help you, depending on your video card, is to go into the Performance Tuner, and switch to OpenGL... depending on what version of Autocad you're runnin'