Author Topic: Autocad stock "waves" procedural map help  (Read 4096 times)

jnieman

Autocad stock "waves" procedural map help
« on: August 14, 2008, 12:00:04 PM »
I'm trying to find a way to control the 'center point' of the WAVES that make up the oceanic water materal I'm using there.

The waves, as they appear at the bulkhead are running perpendicular to it... It's being nitpicky but I can't find a way to do this... I want to make the waves so that they end up running into the sheet piles rather than along them.

I know the 'waves' procedural map is more like ripples that radiate in circles from a center point... but I can't find a way to move that center point.

I know I am missing something obvious... or maybe, like I'm prone to do, I'm stuck thinking inside a box, and can't find my way out.  I'm trying to alter it using the material properties...

*edit*
attached screenshot, duh

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Autocad stock "waves" procedural map help
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 12:13:25 PM »
Try MOVING and Rotating the Material Map

Command entry: materialmap
Select an option [Box/Planar/Spherical/Cylindrical/copY mapping to/Reset mapping] <current>:

Box

Select faces or objects:

The selection set must include at least one of the following object types: 3D solid, 3D surface, face, or 2D object with thickness.

Accept the mapping or [Move/Rotate/Fit to object/reseT/sWitch mapping mode]:

Move
Displays the Move grip tool to move the map.

Rotate
Displays the Rotate grip tool to rotate the map.

Fit to Object
Scales the Mapping Gizmo to the object's size

Reset
Resets the UV coordinates to the default for the map.

Switch Mapping Mode
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

jnieman

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 12:28:41 PM »
No dice, I'd tried that too :/

Unless I'm doing it wrong... the base point for the origin of waves is coordinate 0,0,0 (WCS)... no ifs ands or buts that I can see :(

This is a bit of a conundrum, because all my objects are xref'd in, based on specific coordinate data.  I can't make an arbitrary location for my site.  And it goes by WCS not UCS, so I can't work around that.

jnieman

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 12:44:44 PM »
Ok well... this may not be the BEST method in the world, or most convenient, but due to the way I set up my model, I have a solution.

I model various parts of the project in separate files, and xref them into one large container.  Each platform is a separate file, the foundations are a separate file, then I have one file for the site (limestone, paving, bulkhead, water, etc)  I do this because of projects such as this, where the coordinate location is extremely far from 0,0,0... I want the 'real' coordinate location on the overall site, but so that Autocad doesn't suck to use, I model the objects in children-files close to 0,0,0.  I then xref them in based on a located datum point to the correct coordinate in the container.

I noticed the water goes by the WCS origin location of not the container drawing I'm rendering, but the original file.

So I moved the model of the site to an arbitrary location in space (in it's own file, not the overall container) so that the waves looked as I wanted.  Then readjusted it's located in the container after reloading the xref.

Results below.  Not exactly where I want, but solution has been found.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 11:01:42 AM »
Moving and or Rotating the Material Map appears to works just fine on this end.  :|

Although, there is always more than one way to do most everything....
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

jnieman

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 11:31:25 AM »
Moving and or Rotating the Material Map appears to works just fine on this end.  :|

It was not letting me move it, actually.  I may try with a different object, though.  There may be anomalies specific to the object I have.  I may have to create a extruded region, rather than simply a closed pline that was turned into a region... because the materialmap function was behaving very oddly.  I can't say it doesn't work ... just that it wouldn't work for that object, I guess.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 11:38:29 AM »
Hmm, my lab conditions did not include that variable.

On another note, your avatar, or the image, is pasted to a beer cooler, at a bar in Honolulu......
I saw it the other night, and went....WOW...I've seen that somewhere before!
And now I know from wence it came.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell

jnieman

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 02:13:16 PM »
Hmm, my lab conditions did not include that variable.

On another note, your avatar, or the image, is pasted to a beer cooler, at a bar in Honolulu......
I saw it the other night, and went....WOW...I've seen that somewhere before!
And now I know from wence it came.

www.againstme.net

I notice one of their recent 'news' articles is about the beginning of a street crew for plastering logos and adverts for the band... you're actually about the 4th person who's mentioned seeing the panther around and thinking the same, oddly enough.