Author Topic: Anyone used iTextSharp? (PDF question)  (Read 5144 times)

Tuoni

• Gator
  • I do stuff, and things!
Anyone used iTextSharp? (PDF question)
« on: July 24, 2008, 11:10:07 AM »
I have built a program using iTextSharp to merge several PDFs into a single document, but I've just been told that some of the documents that I have merged need to be printed as duplex, the rest as simplex.

My question is - is this even possible?
If so, how do I do it in iTextSharp? (even a prod in the right direction would be appreciated, I can't find *anything* on doing what I'm trying to do)

I don't mind what language the solution comes back in, but it will eventually be going into C#.

Glenn R

Re: Anyone used iTextSharp? (PDF question)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 02:27:01 PM »
??? Duplex to me means double sided and Simplex is a font or a disease :)

Tuoni

• Gator
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 04:35:11 PM »
??? Duplex to me means double sided and Simplex is a font or a disease :)
Duplex is double sided, simplex is single sided.  Or it could well be a disease commonly found in English schools.

Tuoni

• Gator
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 07:52:03 AM »
With all the testing I've done today it appears to be all or nothing - either all duplex or not, no mix.

Is it possible?  Even in general terms?

Dave R

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 08:25:50 AM »
Can you insert a blank page after the pages that need to be single sided? that way you can duplex the whole PDF and the pages that need to be single sided will appear that way.

Tuoni

• Gator
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 08:34:05 AM »
Can you insert a blank page after the pages that need to be single sided? that way you can duplex the whole PDF and the pages that need to be single sided will appear that way.
Now why didn't I think of that :roll:?

It's certainly possible, though far from an ideal solution.

I've joined the mailing list and thrown the question out there so we'll see what happens...  If they come back with a no, that's the way I think I'll be doing it, thanks :)

Update:
I have just received word back from the developers of iText, it can't be done so... I'll be using your method.  In order to not end up with a nasty looking PDF for the users here I'll send it direct to the printer and produce an XML-structured file which will automatically rebuild and reprint the PDF.  Cheers.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 10:44:11 AM by Tuoni »

jmaeding

• Bull Frog
  • I'm just here for the Shelties.
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 06:08:21 PM »
I've done a bunch of utils with iTS.
Combine pdfs, split to pages, convert mutiple images to tif...
I could not extract images from tif though, too bad.
We use Acroplot Repro engine to convert pdf to tiff though, super nice for cad files.
James Maeding

Tuoni

• Gator
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 05:53:37 AM »
I've done a bunch of utils with iTS.
Combine pdfs, split to pages, convert mutiple images to tif...
I could not extract images from tif though, too bad.
We use Acroplot Repro engine to convert pdf to tiff though, super nice for cad files.
My project is basically finished now :)  Just going through and polishing the code a tad - goes into "beta" on monday... That means I'm a day ahead of my deadline :lol:

I'm not using iTS to its full extent, I'm purely using it to concat PDF files... there's so much more it can do!  Ah well.