Author Topic: Auditing dwgs against the CAD standard  (Read 6460 times)

David Hall

• Automatic Duh Generator
  • King Gator
Auditing dwgs against the CAD standard
« on: July 16, 2008, 04:00:39 PM »
I did a quick search, and didn't find any threads that talked about this, so here goes.

Does anyone have some code to check dwgs against their company standard?  I thought about making this a swamp project, but didn't know if anyone has any free time.  I know Autocad has the batch standards checker, but that is a little to generic for what I need.  It does provide some good info for a first pass of the dwgs.  I am also interested in what else I should be checking for.  My list includes
  • Layers- Names/Color/Linetype
  • Text Styles
  • Titleblock/info block properties-correct layer, insertion point, etc.
  • Image props-correct layer, insertion point, etc
  • Dimension Style settings
  • Use of Mtext vs Dtext, Null text strings
  • XREF props-correct layer, insertion point, relative pathing, etc
  • Everything By Layer
  • Revisions using double digits( 01, not 1)

Can anyone add to this list?
Everyone has a photographic memory, Some just don't have film.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

David Hall

• King Gator
Re: Auditing dwgs against the CAD standard
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 04:02:41 PM »
And should this become a project, does anyone know how to accomplish this w/o having to open every dwg?  I have never learned how to do this.
They say money can't buy happiness, but it can buy Bacon and that's a close second.
Sometimes the question is more important than the answer. (Thanks Kerry for reminding me)

FengK

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 06:55:56 PM »
And should this become a project, does anyone know how to accomplish this w/o having to open every dwg?  I have never learned how to do this.

Are you only talking about VBA or LISP? If so, I guess you mean using ObjectDBX? There must be lot of examples floating around if you search "ObjectDBX".

JohnF

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 09:41:05 PM »
Programmers set the standards in the code so it is easier for drafters to comply.

The users who don't comply must revert to manually change entities and human nature being what it is most comply.

David Hall

• King Gator
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 10:02:36 AM »
Are you only talking about VBA or LISP?
I'm talking about using VBA, and maybe incorporating the ObjectDBX if I can

FengK

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 01:35:25 PM »
  • Everything By Layer

This might be quite time consuming if you use ObjectDBX and there is a large number of objects in the drawing because you can't (maybe I should say I don't know how to) make a selectionset using filter and you'll have to loop through each object to check its color, linetype, etc.

• Image props-correct layer, insertion point, etc

Image insertion point? Are all the images in PaperSpace? Otherwise, are they all inserted at 0,0?

What are you plan to do after the checking? Do you want the code to automatically fix some problems or you just want it to output the result to a text file?

This should be a challenging and useful project. The problem is if you're talking about checking with that much details, it would be very hard to write the code that's useful to different companies.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 04:29:38 AM »
On this proposed program...
Would it be possible to check that, say someone has used the correct font style, but the user has over-ridded the font/height/colour etc? (Have I explained myself clearly)
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.

Glenn R

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 07:19:27 AM »
Yes and yes Tracey.

Glenn R

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 07:20:43 AM »
It's actually already started here.

jonesy

• SuperMod
  • Seagull
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 07:50:20 AM »
Thanks Glenn
This will be one very useful tool in the toolbox when its finished.
Thanks for explaining the word "many" to me, it means a lot.