Author Topic: Zooming  (Read 1670 times)

Arch_Eric

Zooming
« on: July 07, 2008, 03:30:22 PM »
You know what really grinds my gears? When I zoom in on something, and try to zoom back out (using my mousewheel) and suddenly, Autocad thinks that I'm zoomed out all the way. Then I try to pan with my wheel button, and it says I've reached the limits of my drawing, when clearly there's stuff I can't see. I don't know if its specific to ADT2006, or what. Anyone else experiencing this? I know I can Zoom Extents and it fixes it, but its still annoying.

There's got to be a DontTellMeImZoomedOutAllTheWay variable or something.

Rob...

• King Gator
  • Take a little time to stop and smell the roses.
Re: Zooming
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 03:42:07 PM »
I feel your pain. This happens all the time on larger drawings. A quick regen will get you back to your zooming and panning fun.
CAD Tech

architecture68-raff

• Swamp Rat
  • Strange things are afoot at the Circle-K.
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 03:44:57 PM »
Happens to me on ADT 2005 as well...just something I've learned to deal with by doing a regen   :x
Chicago, Illinois
ADT 2005, Revit Architecture 2009, Sketchup 7

Krushert

• Seagull
  • FREE BEER Tomorrow!!
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 03:51:43 PM »
Bugged me with ADT 05 & 07.
Bugging me with ACA 08
and will probably bug me with future versions

I should go out by the tee shirt.
I + XI = X is true ...  ... if you change your perspective.

I no longer CAD or Model, I just hang out here picking up the empties beer cans

Keith™

• Villiage Idiot
  • Seagull
  • Superior Stupidity at its best
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 03:59:09 PM »
That is a limitation of AutoCAD. The memory is dumped for offscreen entities when the stack gets full. There used to be an environment variable in AutoCAD R12 you could set to allocate more memory to the display and resolve the issue, but I think it went away with R14.
Proud provider of opinion and arrogance since November 22, 2003 at 09:35:31 am
CadJockey Militia Field Marshal

Find me on https://parler.com @kblackie

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 05:09:25 PM »
I think it was the display list setting.

Here is the text from an autdesk document that acknowledges issues with the display list.

Issue

Performance can be slow depending on how large and graphics-intensive the drawing is when changing the tilemode setting from 1 to 0 (from model space to paper space).

For example, it can take up to 25 minutes when changing from model space to paper space in large drawings containing multiple viewports in paper space on computers that have between 32-64MB RAM.

AutoCAD needs to write a version of the drawing display list to memory for each active viewport in a drawing. Every additional viewport in a drawing requires additional memory space to complete this display operation. These display lists are written to memory at the point tilemode is switched between 1 and 0.

If AutoCAD consumes all of the available RAM memory during this operation, it will complete the operation by writing any additional display list information to the hard drive,which can be a very slow process.

Solution

The following four methods can improve performance when switching from model space to a paper space (layout page).
Disable fast zooms in each viewport using the VIEWRES command. Either enter the MS command (from paper space) to select a model space viewport, or enter the VIEWRES command to turn off fast zooms.
Close any applications that are running concurrently with AutoCAD. This will make more memory available for processing your drawing in AutoCAD.
Eliminate any unnecessary paper space viewports in the drawing.
Add more RAM to the computer.

Eitherway, a similar thing happens in Civil3D even when using the Prospector Tab to 'Zoom to' items in your design file. There are time that it just forgets where everything is. A zoom to extents often helps. Although I have had some files that remain out of sorts in regards 'extents'.
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

Hedgehog

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 05:16:16 PM »
It's always been the same (& occurs on zooming in as well as out)... I suppose in comparison with the other problems you had to put up with in the likes of R11 it paled into insignificance & I'm just used to it now (tho' it rarely happens in comparison).