Author Topic: DCl file using slides to invoke lisp routines  (Read 6624 times)

TJAM51

DCl file using slides to invoke lisp routines
« on: September 09, 2004, 11:27:08 AM »
Ok...here is a fishing trip. I would like to see if possible if the following could be accomplished:

1. A DCL file that could display several slides. These slides could be called up from a slide library or individual slides in a directory.
2. The slide would represent the lisp to be invoked
3. The ability to add more slides etc.....

Thanks

M-dub

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 11:31:57 AM »
I like that idea...

Instead of worrying about the dcl file, why not just use the slide library function only?  Instead of using the insert commands behind each slide, just use something like ^C^C(load"O:/Drawings/Menus-Blocks/LISP/ROUTINE.lsp") ROUTINENAME;
Just an idea...

TJAM51

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004, 11:49:31 AM »
Sounds good...I am seeking a simple but effective method that is easy to update.  What would be nice is the ability to group the routines into catagories...like Architectural, plumbing, electrical, etc

M-dub

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004, 11:56:16 AM »
You could do it easily, but you'd have to do it yourself.  By that, I mean I don't think it could be done automatically.  If you want, I'll help you create it.  Do you know how to create a slide library and incorporate it into your menu?  Daron's actually going through the same thing over HERE.
Let me know....

TJAM51

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2004, 12:32:40 PM »
I am trying to avoid modifying my menu......Jeffery Sanders has a LIBRARY program for inserting blocks. This program utilizes separate slides *.sld. Not sure how to modify this routine. I need something free standing. I ama contractor. Some companies will not permit the modification of their menus

M-dub

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004, 01:06:32 PM »
It's actually pretty easy to create the slides yourself and you could create a partial menu that contains ONLY what you want it to...That's what we use.  It doesn't modify the Acad.mnu at all.  I actually have the company menu and a partial menu of my own on here.  Works perfectly.  Easy to maintain / modify because there isn't all the other garbage to worry about.

TJAM51

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2004, 01:14:51 PM »
Cool....but in the past whenever I tried to load a partial menu it always stomped my Acad menu and it took lots of time and work to recover. How do you load you menu? I need to see if something I ws doing wrong.

M-dub

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2004, 01:32:08 PM »
You most likely didn't change the menugroup name.  If it's left as Acad, it will load only the menu you last loaded.  There are all kinds of little tricks and tips you'll pick up along the way and they're all available here, but if you want to start something, keep this thread up to date with your progress.  I'll help you along the way.  Do you have a partial menu you had started with or were you planning on starting fresh?  It might be a good idea to start fresh with only your lisp routines.  Easy and small...perfect to start out on.

M-dub

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2004, 01:34:08 PM »
Oh, and let me stress..."Make BACKUPS of your menus before loading / changing them!" and only play with the mns.  Leave the mnu as the master until you're satisfied with your menu.  Then, you can copy the contents of the mns to the mnu, creating a new master.  Of course, that should happen only AFTER you've created a backup!  ;)

TJAM51

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2004, 01:39:00 PM »
Come to think of it this may be what happened. I have approximately 40 routines that I use. I was thinking, if I wanted something faster could I incorporate a toolbar with maybe three or four buttons each representing a catagory...such as edit, or draw, or a specific trade like plumbing and have that button call up a slide library. On the header of the acad menu what needs to be changed?    

The acad.mns

//
//      AutoCAD menu file - C:\Program Files\ACAD2000\support\acad.mnc
//

***MENUGROUP=ACAD

Should be this?

//
//      
//

***MENUGROUP=Utility

Thanks

M-dub

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2004, 01:40:34 PM »
You got 'er!

M-dub

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2004, 01:41:33 PM »
Well...
Is this your partial menu or the actual acad menu?

BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP

TJAM51

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2004, 01:47:35 PM »
I just cut and paste the header no modifications  yet until I make sure that what I type is a good start.......THEN BACKUP :lol:

TJAM51

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2004, 01:57:51 PM »
A question is if I create slides withing 2000 will they be good for 2004? :shock:

M-dub

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2004, 01:59:25 PM »
Yes they will...Not sure about the other way, but I think so.  The answer to your question is yes, because that's what I did....actually, I created mine in R14 originally....

TJAM51

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2004, 07:50:18 AM »
I have loaded menus before and I have gone back and looked at the headers to see if the name was still autocad or something else. The name was different from autocad and I can clearly remember that the intial loading was fine but after a while all went south. I would like to explore my orginal idea further. I really wnt to stay away from any menu loading.

M-dub

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2004, 08:15:06 AM »
Sure...but I won't be able to help you with that.  I don't write lisp or dcl.......yet, anyway.

Good Luck!

TJAM51

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2004, 08:35:57 AM »
Thanks....appreaciate it