Author Topic: Moving Points Inconsistency  (Read 2375 times)

dfarris75

Moving Points Inconsistency
« on: July 17, 2008, 09:14:51 AM »
If I move a few points at a time they all move properly from the base point to the selected new base point. If I move all points they will move twice the distance (in the same direction) I pick on-screen.

Why?

Plz don't ask why I'm moving the points if you can help it. Just tell me why is it behaving this way. Thanks.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
Re: Moving Points Inconsistency
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 09:28:39 AM »
any possibility of touching that data?
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/

dfarris75

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 09:57:03 AM »
Be gentle.

DanB

• Bull Frog
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 12:55:14 PM »
Yikes, very quick test here using Civil 3d 2009 - points move twice as far as they should. Going to mess around some more with it, time permitting.

DanB

• Bull Frog
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 01:13:04 PM »
Can't explain why but I think I can help you get them moved. I noticed an oddity when using a crossing window selection of a point. Properties panel lists (2) cogo points that are identical (this is "bad"). You should not be able to have (2) points with the same numbers!? Just for kicks try moving a single point a few feet, there should be a point left behind, regenall, point left behind disappears. Also try select similar of a cogo point, I was receiving a count of 974 but your "all points" group only lists half of that count of 487. Possible solution, export ALL point group out of drawing, delete all points, reimport point file, move points to new location.

Jeff_M

• King Gator
  • C3D user & customizer
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 01:30:14 PM »
Wow, I just came to the same conclusion Dan did. Each point is duplicated in the drawing. I used a LandXML out of the AllPoints point group, then a Select Similar on the points, then a Delete, then Import LandXML. The points were then freely moveable as desired.

I have seen the duplicate points before, but in a quick search I couldn't find what caused this to occur.

dfarris75

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 01:54:13 PM »
It's a strange situation. Thanks for taking a jab at it guys.

mjfarrell

• Seagull
  • Every Student their own Lesson
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 06:40:01 PM »
Can I have the ORIGINAL file before anyone did anything to it?  please....I will send good data back to you.

OK, this is the process I used
I inserted the drawing as an exploded block
C3D alerted me to "DUPLICATE" point numbers in the file.
So I added an offset, then made TWO point groups, and deleted the duplicates after getting them into a group.
Moved them to correct location, and built a surface to validate efforts, surface looks fine to me.

:wink:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 12:21:19 PM by mjfarrell »
Be your Best

Michael Farrell
http://primeservicesglobal.com/